Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
So basically my headlights work when turned on but my high beams do not. When you push the lever to turn the highbeams on, the blue indicator light does not come on neither do the high beams. I pulled the cover to the engine compartment fuse box and a suspect I am missing a relay. I think this because you can see exectrodes in a square hole which appears to house a relay. So anyways the contact do not have any current when the lights are off, but when you turn the lights on, one of the contacts has 12V. I have been to the local ford dealer and they wre not helpful AT ALL! and neither were all the local parts shops. What I was wondering is if someone could post a picture of the fuse box from perferably a 99SVT, has to be SVT because we have another contour in the family and it is setup differently, anyways then i can pick out the relay which I am missing, so i can get a part number. I would be greatly appreciative of anyone who can help me.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Download the Owners' Manual. www.fleet.ford.com

Relay 10 in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery. Fuse Diagram

Blue Relay 10 (20 AMPs)second right on bottom between Green and Pink.
http://www.contour.org/php/showpic.php?img=/FAQ/img/drl/DRL-good.jpg

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Did it come like this, or was it working before? If so, you might just have blown a 7.5amp fuse which is EASILY DIY. If it came like that, try checking for the fuse but the relay wiring could also be suspect. Look long and hard and you'll find it, if its not that please tell us the exactly situation please.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Funny you should mention a blown 7.5 amp fuse, a couple days after i got the car, i found a blown 7.5 amp fuse on the floor of the car, I stuck a 10 amp in its place not thinking twice about what it could be for. What should i do to troubleshoot this problem? Its possible maybe there was no relay in there in the first place.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
first, replace that 10amp fuse with a 7.5 amp fuse. Next, and this is a big next, please take an amp meter or one of those screw drivers with a light in it and a ground cable. CHECK ALL YOUR FUSES and open wires for current, if you have that, then basically you're problem may be found through either a blown fuse somewhere. If not, don't worry asbout the relay, make sure the relay wiring is all solid and make sure there are no cuts or anything like that through the wire.

1) Check for current first,
2) replace all blown fuses (they're free at most junk yards)
3) if that isn't it, check the wiring from your relay.

Your headlamp switch sends wiring to a relay (if you have fogs equiped), if you check the FAQ on the website of turining your fogs on with your parking lights, you'll see a descripting of the wires and that relay.

If not, post again and we'll troubleshoot together

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Well I pulled all of my fuses and they are ok. Then i checked for current on the high beam fuses and sure enough there was none, What would cause the indicator light not to work?

M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
well just for the record i did figure out the problem, somewhere there was a break between the wire from the switch and relay, so i ran a new wire and problem solved.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard