Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Do you know what the taper is on the 1995 GL V6 tie rod end? I'd like to re-use Contour parts on the car I'm building that uses VW spindles. The two are different, but in the right direction for me to ream the spindles to fit the Contour tie rod ends. This is a rather obscure detail question, but I saw a mention that you are aware of differences in Contour years in a different thread when I searched.

I'm off to the machinist next Saturday to see about shortening and re-threading the Contour tie rods. Another tie rod end solution is to have him re-thread the rods with a die he's got, and use a spherical rod end, and drill the taper out of the spindle. On that visit, he may be able to identify the taper I've got, I didn't ask that over the phone, although I prefer the Contour ends for geometry reasons.

Thanks in advance,

Gar

M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I tried to measure and I got 14.5 mm at the larger end, and 12 mm at the smaller end. This was over a 15 mm distance. that makes 14.5 minus 12, divided by 15, or 2.5/15. This gives .1666. Common English tapers are 1.5 inch over a foot, and 2 inch over a foot. Well 2/12 is also .1666. Can you confirm?

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard