Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Okay, I did lots of reading about 3 months ago. I had a leaking water pump. Thanks to alot of helpful info I found here, I changed the water pump and put on a timing belt kit.

Now she's leaking again, just drips, but enough to create a little puddle in a few minutes. So, I got to thinking why my new water pump would be failing so soon (<1000 miles). I ended up removing the resevoir cap and just barely snugging it back on. I can hear the system leaking around the cap, but, the end result is no more leaking.

My cap says 120 kpa. I'm wondering if thats correct, or if its sticking and allowing too much pressure to build up, thereby causing it to blow through the water pump seal.

Anybody else have this problem??

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by cheap96r:
Okay, I did lots of reading about 3 months ago. I had a leaking water pump. Thanks to alot of helpful info I found here, I changed the water pump and put on a timing belt kit.

Now she's leaking again, just drips, but enough to create a little puddle in a few minutes. So, I got to thinking why my new water pump would be failing so soon (<1000 miles). I ended up removing the resevoir cap and just barely snugging it back on. I can hear the system leaking around the cap, but, the end result is no more leaking.

My cap says 120 kpa. I'm wondering if thats correct, or if its sticking and allowing too much pressure to build up, thereby causing it to blow through the water pump seal.

Anybody else have this problem??

There could be a problem elseware... before I sold my contour the lower radiator hose was mildly leaking, I mistook it for the water pump until I brought it into my school's shop, and the teacher diagnosed it to the hose.

Also, when you loosen the coolant resevoir cap you relieve pressure on the cooling system, thus making it not doing its job quite as well... But since there is less pressure whereever the leak may be, it probably isnt seeping through what it would when there was full pressure... My guess is a gasket of some sort.. or possibly... a hose?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Is it plausable that when your first pump failed, you over-tempped the engine and warped the head? A warped head or a blown head gasket could allow engine pressure to enter the water jacket. Usually, you also get oil passage leaks as well. Look in the oil..... is it frothy white? Check the spark plugs..... do they have crusty stuff growing on them? Look at the coolant on the ground..... does it have an oil skim rainbow on it?
Combustion chamber leakage would probably stir up some noticable bubble or squirt action at the overflow tank.... maybe even some rising smoke when you open the cap.
So this is all the worst case..... this would be my typical luck....... I hope your cause is something else.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Do the el cheapo headgasket test to confirm if the headgasket is leaking.

Fill coolant to the brim on recovery tank (leave cap off). Remove all spark plug wires. Remove all but one spark plug and have someone crank the engine. If the coolant bubbles over, there is a leak from that portion of the engine (or cylinder). If not, go to the next cylinder, and then the next.... Note, it could be more than one area or more than one cylinder.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
OP Offline
C
No signs of coolant / oil mixing. (Oil looks fine, coolant coming out below the crankshaft looks fine.) No bubbling in the resevoir.

I've been driving it all week with no coolant leaks. I still got the resevoir cap lightly tightened.

When it did leak, it was only after everything was competely hot. A 7 mile trip to work wouldn't cause it to leak. I'm still wondering if its just a sticky resevoir cap thats building up too much pressure??

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard