Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I currently own a 96 GL Zetec MTX with well over 100,000 miles. After I graduate I am planning on selling the GL and getting a 96 V6 SE MTX instead, and then let the modding begin (prob the standard 3L swap and possibly turbo depending on the kind of job I land ).

My concern is the wiring harness issue. I've been doing some searching but I couldn't find if there is a way to tell if the wiring harnesses have already been replaced on a car, like with the VIN or something. Is this something that Ford has access to? I read something about the Ford Oasis system. If I call Ford with a VIN can they tell me?

I would like to know for two reasons:
1) To see if my current car has had the fix done (suspect it has not)
2) To make sure that when I go to buy my 96 SE, it has already had all the wiring harnesses replaced.

From what I have read on here, it sounds like buying a pre-98 Contour without the upgraded harnesses is asking for much personal hell. It already makes my stomach a little queasy thinking about putting a lot of money into a car that blue books at rock bottom, but it's that same aspect that attracts me to the platform. I should be able to build one hell of a performance sedan, with good timeless looks for pennies compared to shelling out for a Mazda Speed 6 or something similar. Plus, I love driving my current Zetec so much, I can't imagine what a real powerplant feels like in this car.

Thanks for any info!

96 Contour GL 2.0L MTX with Early SE 7 spoke wheels, SE sideskirts, Koni Sport Kit 70 Mustang Sportsroof with mild 351W and '01 Mustang GT wheels
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Yes, Ford's OASIS system can tell you if the wiring harness recall has been done on a particular car. You may need to go in and talk to them; I'm not sure they'll go to the trouble to pull the OASIS record for the car over the phone (but this probably depends on the individual dealership).

Note that the forums over at flatratetech.com have an OASIS section (active techs will pull OASIS records for you) - but you have to have 50 or more posts on the forum before you can use it.

If you're serious about a '95-'97 Contour project car, you'll want to make sure the harness recall has been done. Mine lasted longer than most (low miles helps), but then I found cracked insulation all over. Thankfully, my dealer was cooperative and replaced all harnesses without hassle.

Note that some folks have replaced the harness themselves. If you plan on a 3L anyway, replacing the harnesses with the engine out isn't as big a deal.

1995 Contour GL V6 ATX T/C 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 2000 Windstar LX
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Unless things have changed, OASIS history only goes back 12 months. If the recall was performed more than 12 months ago it will not show up.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard