Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I'm doing the valve cover gaskets along with the UIM LIM cleaning on my 1998 SVT. Need to verify the instructions and torque settings from the Autozone link:

2.5L valve cover gasket replacement instructions

1) The installation instructions say:

"For each valve cover, place a bead of silicone sealant at two places on the valve cover sealing surfaces where the engine front cover and the cylinder heads make contact and at two places on the rear of the cylinder head where the camshaft seal retainer contacts the cylinder head."

I have no idea where it is referring to.

2) Searching reveals different torque specs, some at 5 ft-lb., others at 10ft-lbs. I have no manual. Does anyone know?

1998 Black CSVT, 75k mi
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Torque specs are 10 Nm. That comeout to around 5 ft lbs...give or take 1.

The sealant places it talks about will be seen when the valve covers are off. Near the front of the engine (opposite the transmission) there is the front timing cover. if you look to the side of the camshaft gears you will see where the front engine cover meets with the heads. Basically, use a little sealant where the 2 pieces of meat are touching. It's pretty straight forward. I fyou need any more help then just ask.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
It should be pretty obvious where the sealant goes when you take the old valve covers off.

Tighten bolts to 10 Nm.

EDIT: Damn I'm a minute late.

Last edited by 99SVT; 08/07/06 11:58 PM.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by 99SVT:
It should be pretty obvious where the sealant goes when you take the old valve covers off.

Tighten bolts to 10 Nm.

EDIT: Damn I'm a minute late.

Posthuman: 1
99SVT: 0

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
OK, how bout some pictures or a how-to? Lets see who can do THAT the fastest. OK go!

1998 Black CSVT, 75k mi
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Just buy a haines manual or better yet order the service cd from Todras.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard