Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by PurpleMystique:
Originally posted by sigma:
Quote:

The actual "muscle car" guys are always gonna make fun of the 4-door semi-luxury sedan that cost $5000 less than their ride but runs mid-13s stock and runs 12s for less than the price of headers on a GT. Nothing you can do about that but let them have their fun while you kick their ass.

I'm curious as to what car you're talking about here. Surely not the MS6, as it runs, at the VERY best, high 13s, and I'm curious as to how $500 can get you a full second improvement in the quarter mile.

Well, we can argue whether the best (and one of the only) slip times of 13.7 is a "high" or a "mid" 13. And the guy who drove that is known to not be the best driver out there. But, either way, it's competitive with a GT at thousands less and 10 times the equipment which was my point.

As for going faster, boost controllers have been very effective in the MS6. Stock boost is 14psi and only really comes on from about 3000 and rapidly dies off when the wastegate starts to vent at 5000RPM. Purportedly those boost controllers and with a little tinkering around are able to get 17.5psi and another 1000RPM out of it, which is a pretty significant difference in total power output over a 1/4-mile.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I'd be interested in seeing dynos/track slips from both stock MS6s and those with just a boost controller, and I'll reserve my judgement until then.

"Mod your car tastefully because other people have to look at it." -Me
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by PurpleMystique:
I'd be interested in seeing dynos/track slips from both stock MS6s and those with just a boost controller, and I'll reserve my judgement until then.

Ditto. However, I do realize truth is usually stranger than fiction.

As for the Ram-Air, you can get one for about half of the MS6's retail price or less, and run faster (once again) out of the box. Also, I'm almost certain the MS6 doesn't have the same kind of aftermarket the F-body does, not to mention the MS6 also has a billion more things that could go wrong, and is very likely(I don't really know because I haven't tried, but based on every other AWD, transverse-mounted car I've worked on...)much MUCH more difficult to work on. From the photos I've seen, the MS6's engine bay reminds me of the WRXs, aka crammed with parts so tight you can't stick your hand in there without burning yourself.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Hydramatic:
Also, I'm almost certain the MS6 doesn't have the same kind of aftermarket the F-body does

Are you serious? In that case, I'm almost certain that the MS6 has a much greater aftermarket than the 2009 Camaro. Get my point?

Matt 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (WRB Stage 4+) Old Rides: 1999 Sil-Fro SVT Contour 3.0L with goodies (Totalled 6/21/06) 1988 Bronco II (Sold) You know you launch hard when you beat oncoming traffic through their own crosswalk lines.
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
The Stang does start pulling at the end. Really crappy camera work.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  hetfield_dup1, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard