Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I did a real bonehead thing and poured a little bit of Mobil 1 ATF in the motor oil hole. I thought that it was Mobil 1 synthetic. The two bottles look so similar, but the red fluid finally gave it away. I only poured about an 1/8 of a quart in. I am planning to have it flushed all out. Will this hurt the engine if I run it?

1998 Black CSVT, 75k mi
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Nope you will be fine...just drain it out

1998.5 SVT contour #5979 3L 1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L auto, all ghetto fo sho
M
M
No-
Actually it has a detergent in it that will clean your motor out very well. I used to work in a shop that serviced Bentley and Ferrari. The shop owner was a master mechanic. He would substitute a quart of oit with ATF and have the customer run it for a week. He would then do an oil change after the week(as long as it did not valve clatter). I thought he was crazy but he assured me it was fine(he had been a mechanic for over 35 years) so I guess he knew what he was talking about. It breaks loose all of the gook. I think that a little will be fine. Equate it to addind some marvel mystery oil in there between each oil change-
M

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by starjammir:
Nope you will be fine...just drain it out

+1. Just drain it out.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by moneypitsvt:
No-
Actually it has a detergent in it that will clean your motor out very well...... I think that a little will be fine. Equate it to addind some marvel mystery oil in there between each oil change-
M

I agree, that little bit is no problem.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Find something else to loose sleep over. It is true that it once was a common thing to add some ATF to clean up an engine. There are better additives for that today, but a small amount will not hurt anything.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by moneypitsvt:
I used to work in a shop that serviced Bentley and Ferrari. The shop owner was a master mechanic. He would substitute a quart of oit with ATF and have the customer run it for a week.

Alot of old timers do that.

I usually throw some ATF or MMO in for a week before an oil change.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I'm intrested now, I may try this a few days before a mile change. Does it do that much or can it hurt it at all?

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
You can have a lot of atf in there. As long as you don't run it hard or put too many miles on it you're fine. ATF is an amazing way to clean tarnish or even hone a cylinder bore... if those rings aren't sealing right, they may seal better after good run with ATF. ATF is almost the same as conventional motor oil, except it has way more cleaning agents and less wear and tear additives. Keep the quantity to a minimum, as well as the run time and nothing will be hurt. Oh, and it won't need to be done often, a little ATF goes a long way.

1997 Thunderbird LX Clairion HU, sub and amp In the works: true duals, headers, cobra MAF In the works: Mustang with a big block
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I use a quart of Lucas HD Stabilizer in my Duratec. Could you use ATF as well or not? I go in for an oil change next week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard