Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
I'm going to start off and give you advice like they're giving me on the Nissan boards about an SE-R Spec V I'm looking at...

Were those from the 91' to 94' SE-R purists?

My advice, try and find a clean/unmolested SVT and drive the hell out of. Be warned it likes attention in the form of basic maintenance and it's tight spaces making working on it harder.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by captainoblivious:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
I'm going to start off and give you advice like they're giving me on the Nissan boards about an SE-R Spec V I'm looking at...

Were those from the 91' to 94' SE-R purists?

I don't even know... the one guy that said his car consumed tons of oil and only booked for $8000 with 43k miles had an 02 SE-R Spec V, so that means the 03 I'm looking at with 60k miles isn't worth it...

Booked his car with 43000 in Iowa (cars seem to be worth less there), and it came up to $10,200... Leads me to believe he's full of s**t! Note the 03 I'm looking at books at (with 60k miles) at $13,500.

Other guy didn't have a car listed in his sig IIRC...

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
S
OP Offline
S
So i have another meeting to see the SVT. Is there ANYthing else i need to watch out for besides the jackshaft and the lsd? Thanks!
-L

"Dream as though you'll live forever, live a though you'll die today" -James Dean Live it, learn it and love it.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
MAJOR:

Like was posted earlier, if you can test drive it, look for grinding between shifts (fast paced/rushed/redline shifts), ESPECIALLY between 2nd and 3rd.

Worn synchros, requiring a new transmission (or at LEAST updated synchros... but you may as WELL get an LSD in there while its down, etc)

Listen for ticking, or knocking (would be HARD to miss) if the bearings have spun, etc. Its LOUD.

Waterpump (if the car is an early 98, especially). It SHOULD NOT HAVE a black impellar. You can't physically see it without removing it, but see if there is a history of replacing the waterpump, or a receipt with part number. The black ones shatter with hot coolant (get brittle) and overheat your engine. warped heads, etc.

Minor:
Hazy headlights (about $200 for new ones, or CAN be sanded for an 85-90% appearance improvement *for a time*)

bumper sag in the rear (seperating/hanging lower than the trunk, where it originally was supposed to meet up with.
Can be fixed with a couple of tennis balls, actually, lol.
but still something to point out for the price wanted, etc.

sun roof operation/clicking, not opening, etc. $55 gear fixes it.

alignment on these cars are PICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me think some more.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Ray:
MAJOR:

Waterpump (if the car is an early 98, especially). It SHOULD NOT HAVE a black impellar. You can't physically see it without removing it, but see if there is a history of replacing the waterpump, or a receipt with part number. The black ones shatter with hot coolant (get brittle) and overheat your engine. warped heads, etc.

Oh yeah... the 'other' Duratec issue besides the oiling problem.

Supposedly the "white" impeller is the updated one, but also (IIRC) Napa, and maybe a few others, sell a metal impeller pump.

However, the metal impeller pump isn't a 'cure all' since it has a tendancy to leak out of the weep hole... and a few white impeller ones have shattered also.

...But both of those don't have the near 100% failure rate of the original black impeller.

Your symptoms will be overheating engine combined with a 'broken' heater (which is actually just the coolant not being able to get to the heater core).

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Dont forget the horror of the warped dashes. Make shure it hasn't started its shifting at the front window and the gage bezel.

Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
bumper sag in the rear (seperating/hanging lower than the trunk, where it originally was supposed to meet up with.
Can be fixed with a couple of tennis balls, actually, lol.

^ any further details as to where the balls should be placed ! ( picture possible ? )

mine is not sagging but may be a little loose on 1 side , so wouldn't mind putting the tennis balls in to prevent any major sag that could occur !

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
i have 2 words of advice since i just bought one....BUY IT!!!

its an AMAZING CAR!!!

u will love it

98.5 Black Contour SVT #5959
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard