Print Thread
S
SVT3391 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
98 E0 CSVT.

Last week I had the whacky speedometer problem. I haven't got a chance to check the connectors of the wire to see if it looses at either end, so I let it sit for 4 days. This morning it rained so I didn't want to drive the other car which recently just had some wax job. I drove the CSVT and the speedometer seemed to perform accurately for the first 90% of my 36 miles commute into D.C..

After I got into DC I ran over a not-so-big hole. I felt the bump then immediately the ABS light came on. I tried the brake and it seemed the brake was functioning. However I didn't break hard enough to feel the ABS working so I could not say was it working or not. After half mile, the car all of sudden performed a hard break for half second, then the ABS light immediately disappear. I was driving about 30 MPH at that time on Penn. Ave. Fortunately there was no car behind me.

In the remaining 2 miles of driving, no ABS light any more. But the speedometer started to show whacky behavior again.

Needless to guess, I am feeling now. I did a search on the ABS light (to as early as 2003) and did not find anything. Can any one help?

98 Silver Frost E0 SVT. 1011/6535. DOB 05/16/97 Owned since new. Optimized y-pipe. Bosal Exhaust w/ silencer inserts. K&N intake w/ MAF. Ford Racing 9mm wires. 05 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey. Cobbs Accessport Stage 2.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by SVT3391:

After I got into DC I ran over a not-so-big hole. I felt the bump then immediately the ABS light came on. I tried the brake and it seemed the brake was functioning. However I didn't break hard enough to feel the ABS working so I could not say was it working or not. After half mile, the car all of sudden performed a hard break for half second, then the ABS light immediately disappear.....

I hate DC for all the potholes and steel plates on the roads. Sometimes the ABS system can get "confused" when the front wheels do not rotate after the same time as the back. Smoke inspection dynos do that to cars too. Did you perform the hard braking half mile later, or did the ABS sound like it did a hard brake (with the ABS "spring release" sound)?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
S
SVT3391 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
The car itself performed a hard brake, not by me. I was surprised in the car. I didn't hear any sound from the ABS either. After the hard brake, the light immediately disappeared.

Edit to my first post: I did search on the ABS light, but did not see anything substantial discussing about the 'automatic hard brake and the light disappear' behavior.

98 Silver Frost E0 SVT. 1011/6535. DOB 05/16/97 Owned since new. Optimized y-pipe. Bosal Exhaust w/ silencer inserts. K&N intake w/ MAF. Ford Racing 9mm wires. 05 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey. Cobbs Accessport Stage 2.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard