Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I am in the process of replacing my half shaft. I am at the point where I have to push the axle through the hub.

I rented a puller at Autozone and it starting to push the axle through the hub. The tool had three "jaws" around the hub and then you turned a threaded shaft to push the axle through. This was working great until the theaded shaft I was turning ran out of threads so I couldn't turn it anymore to push it all the way through. Why would they make a tool like this that wasn't threaded all the way up?

Anyway, What do you do in this case where your tool to pull the bug does have enough threads to push it all the way though? Is there another trick to push it the rest of the way? I think I almost had it!

Thanks.

'98 Ford Contour - Daily Driver never modified, but thinking about it '83 Porsche 911 SC Cabriolet
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
usually you can adjust the claws so you get more length of the threaded part.

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I'm lost ... why are you using a "puller"? The thread title says "replacement" ... shoot some pentrating oil on the splines if they are rusted in and give it a good whack with a 5 lb. sledge with a 2x4 between the sledge and the threaded end of the half axle where the nut goes. This assumes that you have already removed the hub/knuckle from the LCA and positioned it further "outboard" than it sits stock. Otherwise, hitting with a sledge could damage the other end's trans seal. Am I making sense?

1) loosen axle nut (must remove center cover on wheel)
2) jack up car and support with stands
3) position wheels in the straight ahead position & then remove them.
4) disconnect the sway bar end link from the strut housing tab
5) remove the steering arm from the knuckle/hub
6) remove the "pinch bolt" from the bottom of the hub where it connects to the ball joint
7) Using a long pry bar or the hanle of your jack (if it detaches), seperate the hub from the ball joint

- now, the hub/knuckle should be free floating, allowing you to move it left/right/out ... spring in strut assembly stops you from moving up and half axle stops you from moving in.

VERY IMPORTANT: if you plan on reusing the half-axle, be careful with the threads and hit the axle nut end of the half-axle with a mallet/dead blow hammer ... something with a very big flat surface that is not harder than the metal of the half axle. If you use a 5 lb. sledge, either be accurate or carful and use an insulator like a piece of wood.

1) move hub/knuckle away from the car slightly so that the blow doesn't damage the trans seal on the other end
2) strike axle nut side hard and quick

- if nothing happens and the axle doesn't dislodge from the hub, spray some pentrating oil in there really good and let it sit for 10 minutes and try again

- feel free to use repeated blows as long as you can hit the end of the axle flush and not damage the thread

* If you plan on using this as a core and have the replacement axle, which this thread title suggests, smack the crap out of it with reckless abandon
** if you do this, be sure not to damage the bore that the axles spline sit in.

- Now, once it's loose, it's simply a matter of pulling/rotating the strut/hub assembly enough to get the length of splined axle to clear the hub.

Last edited by fastcougar; 08/09/06 03:52 AM.
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Thanks for all the advice...since I need the car Mondays - Friday, I put it back together and am going to give it another go this coming weekend.

The "puller" I used was more of a "pusher" and it did work for moving the half shaft a good bit...I just need a little bit more!

Thanks.

'98 Ford Contour - Daily Driver never modified, but thinking about it '83 Porsche 911 SC Cabriolet
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
did you undo the ball joint? That's what I do and loosen the top bolt of the strut enough tht I can swing it out...

I don't 'think' you have enough to room to just push it through.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Yes, you remove the pinch bolt and seperate the knuckle/hub from the LCA. I have never loosened the strut top nut and have pulled MANY half-axles

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I have done several with loosening the top strut bolt, th eball joint, and the other one....I forgot the name...but ya..I could swing to the side and get the axle out.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yea I did the same as you guys...Removed the retarded nut that some jack-off at ford designed, took out the bolt for the ball joint, and one ofther bolt...and yea, Basically loosened the axle within the hub, and had a guy pull out the strut/hub assembly while i got the axle out of the hub. Works like a charm.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I need more advice. I have the pinch bolt out for the ball joint and the lower control arm is almost out of the hub, but it doesn't seem to quite be able to move out so that the hub is free-floating. Do I just keep working it with a pry bar? Or is there a better trick?

Thanks!

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard