Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
ok my sister has a 2000 zetec atx vct . she called me and wanted me to look at her car so i went right over and . checked for codes there were none stored so them i started it and it was hard to start then i put it into drive and it died . so i start it back up and after a sec try it stayed running . so i take it down the road i pullup to 2 or 3 stop sighs and on takeoff it tries to die or it would spit and sputter. when i get back and park it i put it into drive once more and hold the brake and give it a little gas and white smoke pours out of the tailpipe and it started spitting and sputtering again . she has the plugs and wires changed 2 weeks ago. oil needs changed in another 300 miles. the point is the car has been kept up . and it runs good and strong once u get past the take off. if anyone can teel me what to try next please let me know. she is scared to drive it the way it is .

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 98-contour-zetec:
.. a 2000 zetec atx vct . she called me and wanted me to look at her car so i went right over and . ... i put it into drive once more and hold the brake and give it a little gas and white smoke pours out of the tailpipe and it started spitting and sputtering again . she has the plugs and wires changed 2 weeks ago. oil needs changed in another 300 miles. .....

Change the oil and filter. Check oil for consistency.

There might be a headgasket leak. Do the el cheapo headgasket test.

Fill coolant to the brim on recovery tank (leave cap off). Remove all spark plug wires. Remove all but one spark plug and have someone crank the engine. If the coolant bubbles over, there is a leak from that portion of the engine (or cylinder). If not, go to the next cylinder, and then the next.... Note, it could be more than one area or more than one cylinder.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
There is no doubt that there is a head gasket leak. Do that test as a double check. Sorry to hear man, but at least it's the 4 banger and not the rear bank of the V6 that's leakin. With the right tools, you should be able to get the gasket done in a few hours, maybe a day if you're doing it at home with no air/power tools.

1997 Thunderbird LX Clairion HU, sub and amp In the works: true duals, headers, cobra MAF In the works: Mustang with a big block

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard