Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I have been having erratic shifting in my Mystique's Automatic Transmission CD4E lately. The most common symptom is driving along @ highway speed cruising in Overdrive. Then the tranny will shift into drive for a few seconds and then shift back into overdrive.It may do this 3 to7 times and then normal cruising @ 60mph while the engine is @ 2100 rpm I sometimes notice incorrect shifting when in the lower gears. I can feel the downshift and also notice the RPM gauge jump up.

I have been reading past posts on the MLPS causing unusual shifting problems. Has others w/ the CD4E trannys have these similar symptoms ? If so, was the MLPS the culprit. It is straightforward to change. I have changed the ATF at least once a year. I can't believe it would an expensive rebuild solution.

Any CEG'ers who had to replace this sensor, what kind of problems did you experience?

1995 Mercury Mystique LS OBD1 2.5 L Duratec ATX- No modifications 70,000 Miles w/ O.E. Water Pump or Replaced: VSS, Lower speedo-cable(2X) Use: Mobil 1 5w30 and Techron Fuel Treatment.;) and Mobil 1 ATF Change every 10,000 miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Yes, the MLPS can do that. I do not remember that exact problem with a Contour, but I have seen it many times on various Ford transmissions.

When the switch gets old, the grease inside the switch eventually migrates to the wrong places and sort of shorts out the switch. At the early stages of failure the switch acts up under heat.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
No issues with speedometer when problem occurs. It is more like the tranny is hunting for gears. I replaced the VSS and remember what the symptoms were-speedometer flucuation and not shifting out of low gear.

I am hoping the MLPS is worn and causing this problem like Big Jim thinks. I know it is original and it is a common replacement part.

Any others w/ a MLPS replacement?

1995 Mercury Mystique LS OBD1 2.5 L Duratec ATX- No modifications 70,000 Miles w/ O.E. Water Pump or Replaced: VSS, Lower speedo-cable(2X) Use: Mobil 1 5w30 and Techron Fuel Treatment.;) and Mobil 1 ATF Change every 10,000 miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
My Mystique (1998 LS, 80Kmiles ATX) hasn't needed it yet, but we replaced the MLPS on my father's 1992 Sable when it failed to go in Reverse sometimes. The new MLPS solved the problem. Sometimes the TSS (located in wheelwell) is bad, but it tends to cause harsh shifting. The TSS gets rusted in there good (especially in Rochester, I am from there too). I replaced mine, best avoided unless you are sure you need it. I noticed your sig,I just put in Mobil 1 ATF, I like it. That original waterpump will fail any day now. Mine went at 78kmiles, my sister's was about to go at 70 kmiles when we changed it. I used a metal impeller Delco part, works good.

A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I get no harsh or bang shifts like a TSS problem may emit. I am leaning towards replacing the MLPS. I can't imagine it's an internal transmission problem or a torque converter issue. It seems since the MLPS is a mechanical/electrical component, it is a likly to fail over time. The history shows it is a common part that needs replacement.

Any others out there with a MLPS replacement? If so, what was your reason to change out?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard