Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rayn Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I just upgraded to a 220 amp alternator (never really noticed dimming at 130amp stock) but one day it just died. I have a kx2500.1 (2500watts rated) amp in the trunk pushing a kicker solo x 12 (pulling about 1250 max due to the impedance). I'm about to get another solo x to get the full 2500 watts plus maybe another 750 for door speakers. I've had some say get a cap or two and some say get a second battery set up. The messages have been so mixed that I am not sure what to do. I can't afford to burn out this $500 alternator. I searched some of the previous posts about the second batteries and caps. There was no clear concensus of if you have this many watts then you need this particular set up...

Can we set the record straight?

SV Pushing An SVT!!! The Rayn Campaign
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I think the general concensus depends on what exactly you want out of your system. it sounds like you're trying to get something really impressive, a "can handle anything" system, so short answer is, I think you'd be better off with a second battery.

every amp has capacitors (sp? it's late...) already in it from what I understand, just not very big. they just store energy from your alternator, and your amp reaches into the cap when it needs power. if you're playing music that has a LOT of bass (like most hip hop/rap), and the cap is constantly draining and recharging, then it's really not doing much but being a middle man for the amp.

a second battery will, in the end, give you more power/backup power than any caps really would (to a certain extent...but I'm trying to be realistic here).

other than what I've said, caps look cool and get some wow-points from people who're easily impressed.

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
R
Rayn Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I am trying to deafen anyone who rides in my car with heart seizing bass! I saw a 40 farad cap for like $500 and I was quoted a second battery install (with an optima yellow top) for like $400 (I might do it myself if I can find a good enough how to) so the prices seem in the same range. I want to wow more with sound and not really trinkets (I haven't made it to that level of whoring yet) in the trunk next to my daughters stroller...

I guess that's 1 for the second battery install...
Thanks

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
+2 for the battery, and an HO alt. Those two alone would be good enough to get it going. Amp on the other hand, that's your real limit right now. I'd say try to find a pair of Mark Antony 25 OPCM (sp?) and throw those on the one you have. They are current hungry little bastages, but if you feed them the right voltage and the right load (they like .5 daily/.25 for burps) they make insane power. I think with 16v and @ .5 ohm they make like close to 3kw a piece. A guy on SD was selling a pair, he wanted 300 a piece for them. They were in a van, on 6 Selenium 15's in a wall doing like 158.x on the TL mics. Not too shabby for an amp that's rated for 350 watts for IASCA/USACi.

Kef

1998 Contour GL 2.0L Zetec Stock as hell for the moment....
R
Rayn Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
2 for a second battery set up

Thanks!

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Rayn:
I am trying to deafen anyone who rides in my car with heart seizing bass!

Originally posted by Rayn:

I want to wow more with sound and not really trinkets (I haven't made it to that level of whoring yet) in the trunk next to my daughters stroller...

Please, please PLEASE tell me you do not play your system even moderately loud with your daughter in the car. Young children's hearing is so much more sensitive than ours and so much more susceptible to damage from loud noises.

Sounds like your hearing is starting to go already if you're going to these lengths and have a goal to "deafen anyone who rides in my car with heart seizing bass". Listen responsibly. Do NOT play your system like that while driving around. If you're in a controled environment like at a show or something and people are stupid enough to sit in the car "for a moment" and risk their own hearing, so be it. But do not even think of doing that to your daughter.

Bob Johann SoundQ SVT 1998 T-Red SVT Contour #3088 2001 IASCA Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 SLAP Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 MECA SQL Master Class Champion 2003 IASCA StreetX 1-600 Champion 2005 SLAP Expert Street Champion
R
Rayn Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I am not a psycho. I would never deafen my 2 year old daughter or my 7 year old son. I'm actually a nurse and understand the effects of loud music. When the children are at grandmas and I actually make it out to chill (not very often) then I like to do it up big! I actually want them both to become doctors and they will need thier ears to listen to lung and heart sounds. Hey and maybe repair the ears of the people I deafen with my music... I am responsible.

S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Ya plus I made the box soo it can't be that loud LOL

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Smorganin:
I think with 16v and @ .5 ohm they make like close to 3kw a piece.

kef

where are you getting 16v?

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
2500w isn't all that much to worry about in real world situations. Nice battery and the new alternator shoudl be way more than sufficient.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard