Print Thread
A
alibies Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Ok..

This all started like 2 hours ago in a tacobell parking lot... my gf and I got in the car and tried to start it but it just kept turning over. The sound the car makes right before it starts, its running but not started. (not just clicking it's firing too) It does that so I tried to turn it off and it just kept going... I took the key out and it just kept going... after a min I was able to turn it off and then get it running and drove home. There were no problems or anything. When I got home I turned it off and tried starting it again... it started the same starting thing again, key out of it and all. It wouldn't turn off! so my gf ran and got a camera, soon after smoke started... it smelled BAD like the smell of clutch X100

Here is a vid where the smoke was coming from

It started throwing sparks and freaky stuff so i undid the battery (so no engine codes :-()

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v631/softlyspokenloudlyunderstood/?action=view&current=994b32ea.flv

1996 ford contour sport
Originally posted by Cookie Monster:
Sometimes I just start slowing down and glare in the rearview and say "yeah I could go for an SVT rear". Jackasses.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
maybe you cooked through the started wire shorting it out which might explain the smoke and why it's still running. I've seen it done before but who know's?

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
A
alibies Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
A
just tried hooking it back up and starting it... it wont even turn over... lights and everything just nothing from the motor

1996 ford contour sport
Sometimes I just start slowing down and glare in the rearview and say "yeah I could go for an SVT rear". Jackasses.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by alibies:
just tried hooking it back up and starting it... it wont even turn over... lights and everything just nothing from the motor

Yes, it is most probably the starter. Disconnect negative battery cable, remove air intake resonators/plenum and you should be able to look down at the starter. With the amount of smoke shown in the video, there should be some scorched marks on the starter, soleniod or wiring connectors.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c3/4b/0900823d801bc34b.jsp

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
A
alibies Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
A
the starter looks ok... if i turn the car on i can hear a slight selinoid (sp?) click... not a heavy click something you gotta lean in to hear...

1996 ford contour sport

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
The battery may have been depleted by the heavy use. Try recharging it with a battery charger. Disconnect it from the car first, check water in the battery if it has the caps.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard