Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1624421 08/05/06 08:00 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Good Afternoon everybody

When I am driving my car, it starts to make a humming noise when i am about 30 MPH, and it gets progressively louder the higher MPH i go. My tachometer is in the low range, yet it sounds like I need to shift in higher gear(that is what the sound is like). It is loud enough that i have to turn my radio louder. Also, it shudders a little bit when i am on the expressway as well. I had the wheel bearings replaced a few months back so i hope that isnt what it is. Thank you in advance to the replies

98 Ford Contour GL 4 cyl Zetec Engine Manual Transmission
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
sounds like a wheel bearing to me ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Since you had the wheel bearings replaced (at all four corners?) you might want to take a look at your tire's tread. If they are wearing badly, they can get noisy although I don't know of anything on the car besides motor/exhaust/tranny that could get so loud that you'd have to increase the volume of your radio.
Karl

*** It's all about consistency! *** *** Previously 88SVT *** 06 F150 Supercrew 5.4L FX4 98 SVT Contour #4362 Born 1/6/1998 86 Ranger GT (For Sale) 69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider (For Sale) 67 Formula-S Barracuda
L
OP Offline
L
yep

it was the wheel bearing! I took it back to be replaced and it works great again also had a tie rod out as well. I am glad I bought the warranty for this thing b/c it already paid itself off. thank you all for the responses

98 Ford Contour GL 4 cyl Zetec Engine Manual Transmission

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard