Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I purchased a Canon Powershot A700 camera 2 months ago. This morning the LCD screen would not show a picture. The LCD screen will only show the icons. Has anyone else had that problem? I called Canon technical support and they said it seems like a problem with the image sensor and that I will need to send the camera in for repair. I don't want to spend the money for packaging and insured shipping unless I have to. Has anyone else had that problem with their Canon camera? I was hoping that the problem would be something simple like one of the camera settings.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
take the lens cap off

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
It has an automatic lens cover. When it powers on the lens cover opens and I can see the lens.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
then i'm fresh out of ideas. good luck.

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Obvious stuff, but did you try pushing all the buttons and going thru the menus? Maybe it's in a powersave mode that conserves battery life...

Also, does it take pictures? Like have you taken a picture since then and transferred it to your computer?

If it still comes out black, the camera definitely needs service!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I tried taking pictures and transferring them to my computer. The pictures are completely black. I guess the image sensor is the problem.

Canon says they will pay for Fed ex or UPS return postage so I will only have to pay postage one way.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I have to make sure that the lens cover is open fully on mine or it won't power up.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I work at the return desk at Best Buy and Canon Powershot cameras are by far the most returned with problems. Where did you buy it at? Most of the big stores will honor the manufacturer's warranty (1 year in your case) and either send it out for repair for free, or even just exchange it for you. Best Buy exhanges pretty much all digital cameras under manufacturer's warranty except Sony cameras which they require us to send out for repairs.

Matt 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (WRB Stage 4+) Old Rides: 1999 Sil-Fro SVT Contour 3.0L with goodies (Totalled 6/21/06) 1988 Bronco II (Sold) You know you launch hard when you beat oncoming traffic through their own crosswalk lines.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I bought it on eBay. I emailed the seller asking for their address (the warranty card requires their address). I have their phone number so I might call them. I have my Pay Pal receipt for payment so that should be good for a receipt. I've always liked Canon Powershot Cameras but the A700 seems different. The pictures were choppy and now the image sensor has gone bad.

I bought it from this seller:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZskildnerQQhtZ-1

The seller sells new items so I guess they are a dealer.

Link Copied to Clipboard