Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Car: 1996 Ford Contour GL..2L motor...4speed automatic..with overdrive button.

Driving car on highway...see the overdrive (green light on dash) flashing..on and off. Pull of the highway. Start to take off...and notice..as car shifts between 1st and 2nd..
a "thump feeling" and noise. Later in the day...in town driving...this disappears. Thump and flashing o/d light.
So...basically...anytime I drive the car on the highway for 15 or 20 more minutes..I have this same problem..o/d light flashing and then problem (thump, noise) between 1 and 2. But if keep car in town...lower speeds...problem disappears and does not come back..unless I go out on highway. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. ( for the record..I have been told torque converter bad...or valve assembly..or sensor..on and on.) No straight answers.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by cashewnuts:
.....I have been told torque converter bad...or valve assembly..or sensor..on and on.) No straight answers.

Welcome . It could be. Try changing the ATFluid first to see if that helps. What is the speedometer doing during that time? Is it going "berserk"? A tranny scan should tell you exactly what the problem is. Most tranny shops charge one hour labor for the scan.

ATFluid drain and refill
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I had same issue with wife's car, did the 3x drain/refill as Tony says and now i travel 2-5hours at highway speeds and no OD light flashing....knock on wood.:)

00 Mystique LS V6 ATX 57K miles K&N air filter TH Fix B&M 70268 Atx cooler

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard