Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Ouch. Full voltage to componenets set to handle 50 millivolts can't be good.

Bare wires are now insulated, rewrapped, with extra piece of rubber hose for harness protection.

No difference in status or operation but at least I have some confidence that new items installed won't fry for the same reasons.

Checks continuing.

silver '98 E0 bone stock except 225/60 -16's on 16 x 7's (45 et)
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
More checks, more questions.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears PCM relay activation should trigger fuel pump relay. Right now, PCM relay triggers, fuel pump relay doesn't and that had me wondering.

Continuity checks show high resistance (3-4 Kohms) between PCM relay high side output(pin 5) and fuel relay low side input (pin#2).

Diagram shows should be solid connection.

Any tips on how to open up the battery junction box?

Also, someone stated ref voltage on TPS was <0.050 v??? Books say 5.0v, I got 3.

silver '98 E0 bone stock except 225/60 -16's on 16 x 7's (45 et)
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by cj leadfoot:

Any tips on how to open up the battery junction box?

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/recall/99M03/
Scroll down to "Power Distribution Harness Overlay Installion"

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by cj leadfoot:
...Also, someone stated ref voltage on TPS was <0.050 v??? Books say 5.0v, I got 3.

I am so sorry. I misread one row down. 1998, 1999 SVT Pin 90 Yellow wire for Reference Voltage has 4.9 to 5.1 V at hot idle.

The TPS Signal Pin 89 White wire as posted earlier should be 0.53 to 1.27 V at hot idle.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
First of all my condolences! This must be from that clamp on the pwr steering line. I remember years ago a warning about turning that clamp away from the harness.
This is like being in the middle of a fire-fight while your ducking your praying and trying figure which ways up. Patience if that's possible, I know it's not for me anymore.

Yes I've being chasing around the Ford CD, Pin 97 was not a good to have 12+. I've got to find a better wiring diagram to try and troubleshoot with. The Pats is in the middle of this, the PCM provides a ground to the coil of the Fuel pump relay and I"m trying to understand all the fuses F11 is connected to F14 (both BJB) when the the fuel pump relay operates?????????? There a few more I've got the find a more complete diagrams!!!!!!!!!!Just found my Chilton's it's doesn't show a direct connection bewteen fuses or the realys???

Which fuses blew? I'll be looking, unfortunately tomorrow I might not get time to turn on the computer.

Paul

Oh by the way Tony this is not someting I going to try and re-create on my Mistakes!

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
The first thing I would do is try prove that voltage is getting to the PCM when the key turn on. Ford does have a break-out box (know any Ford mechanics?) not sure if all dealers have one? IT series in between the PCM and the cable.
I'm not sure if unplugging the connector and looking the proper pin or pins (connector cable end)will work.
Anyone heard from "horsedug"? I think he has actual wiring diagrams he use to work from????

This working for what's on the CD is joke!!!
Something else would to swap out the relays (after do your visuals on the BJB wiring), I just when to my local junk yard and they let go out looking for caliper brackets for my possible 278 rotor upgrade. I cleaned out the BJB from a 2000 Cougar. If your really ambitious swap out the haranesses! Sorry bad joke. I hate to think what a nightmare that could be?

You could try a PCM from the junk yard, not sure how many different "Tear Tag codes" would work on your vintage?

I'm still searching Later
Paul

Last edited by F111D F; 08/06/06 03:17 PM.

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Ok never mind the break out box "CJ", (Yes Tony I'm tearing into the 08/98 that's my spare back-up! This "ORF" can barely afford one vehicle on the road.)
I see that the cover pops off the amphenol and is number on the wiring side. Now to find a fine wire probe?
Looks like pin 71 should battery voltage and pin 90 is 5vdc???

Copying off this CD is not easy. Check your PM.

Paul

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
LOL. Spare back up as in parts car or back up driving vehicle?

Yes, 1998, 1999 SVT Pin 71 Green/Yellow is Vehicle Power and at hot idle is 12 to 14 V. And Pin 90 Yellow is Reference Voltage and at hot idle is 4.9 to 5.1 V.

The cheapest B.O.B. I have seen on the market is about $600.

Edit. Amphenol? As in PCM wiring connector? Speak English please.

Horseydug hasn't posted in 2 years. This appears to be the last time he posted.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=715450&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Thanks Tony

Before I forget again I ran into another diagram, besides pin 71 it shows pin 97 connected to the output of PCM relay? Battery VDC ATX or MTX both .

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Yes should be continuity between same as shorting the leads together.(Continuity checks show high resistance (3-4 Kohms) between PCM relay high side output(pin 5) and fuel relay low side input (pin#2)

Actual live test.
Paul

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard