Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I just don't get it...why IPOD adding IPOD controls to car stereos are more popular than just simply adding USB, or SD, or Memory Card support. It's a much cheaper option from a users standpoint as oppose to having to purchase an IPOD and the associated equpitment you need to control it. Just doesn't make good sense to me.

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Because iPods are a status symbol and all the industries follow status symbols.

I personally can't stand them...iPods or status symbols. There are sooo many better options outher there then ipods. My choice is for iRiver. Apple had a great thing when they first came out with the iPod, it was the first mass storage music player. but in my opinion it has been far surpassed by others.

Brian W.
--------------------
Black 1998 SE 5 speed - TOTALLED
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by BrianW:
but in my opinion it has been far surpassed by others.

I'm not sure I'd say that, or at least "far surpassed".

The ipod itself is great. It's the iTunes software and the whole status symbol thing that kills it. Anything that starts with a lowercase 'i' is automatically redicously priced because of that.

I was just talking about this to a friend. The other day I noticed JVC has a head unit with usb input for memory sticks (yea, I'm really outdated on the latest HU's). Thought it might be cool, can use my memory stick, hook up the fiance's ipod ... wait ... no ipod without a $100 adapter.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
ipod ready alpine radios only require a $30 cable. other brands such as sony, pioneer, and JVC only charge $50 for the interface. Kenwood is the most expensive at $100. I dont know about you guys, but I care about controling my music from the radio and charging the mp3 player at once. Alpine has a great ipod interface, and using an ipod is the only way to control and charge your music from the radio. I can throw my ipod in the glove box and listen to whatever I want without touching the ipod. Not all ipod interfaces are made alike. Alpine makes the easiest to use interface, followed by pioneer, then kenwood. The sony ipod interface really sucks, and I haven't tried JVC's, but I would use a JVC radio anyways.

People can complain about ipods all they want, but they have the most aftermarket support. You can get anything to pug into your ipod! the best you can find for other players is a leather case. Yes I hate itunes, but other mp3 players have nowhere near as much support. If it matters any I didnt buy my ipod. It was a christmas gift from my girlfriend.

Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
does your family tree not have any branches on it?

99SVT 235hp @ 6550rpm 212tq @ 5350rpm
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
ipod ready alpine radios only require a $30 cable.

Thats for the 2007 models though correct b/c IIRC the older models such as the 9833 (that I have) you need the $100 unit to run the Ipod off the HU

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by captainoblivious:

Thought it might be cool, can use my memory stick, hook up the fiance's ipod ... wait ... no ipod without a $100 adapter.

JVC's is actually only $49...

I think IPODS are the best because compatibility and thats the only reason why

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
That is what makes no sense to me. Why pay $200+ for an ipod when you can buy a memory stick or SD card for 1/3 or less the cost. I can use a 1Gb card for $60 an my current MP3 player and have a lot more versatility than with an IPOD. It's frustrating to be locked in to the Ipod as being the only option.

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by BrianW:
My choice is for iRiver.

I have had nothing but problems with my iriver 20 gig mp3 player.

Good thing I got the replacement plan from Best Buy.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
People can complain about ipods all they want, but they have the most aftermarket support. You can get anything to pug into your ipod!

I do not think people are complaining about the iPod itself, or at least I'm not and I can't speak for everyone. I like the iPod and can even tolerate the iTunes software, it's the price of the accessories that just flat out annoys me. They have some really neat accessories for it and great aftermarket support, but everything related to an iPod is at premium price whether it's worth it or not.

Originally posted by ConcepTrs913:

JVC's is actually only $49...

I was just going by what I saw on crutchfield and also was just using that as an example of how iPod accessories can get overly expensive. If a head unit has a USB port on it, it should not be difficult at all to program the H/U to charge and control the ipod through that, not charge that much extra to buy a controller.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
I think the iPod is the H2 of the music/techie set. It's expensive, flashy, and people like to have it to show how hip they are, regardless if they will ever use it to a fraction of its potential.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard