Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Sorry for the way the title is phrased, I mean you can only get so many characters in there. Anyways I've been reading constantly about cruise control and it's problems and my cruise control hasn't been working for the better part of 2 years now and I finally wanna get around to replacing it. AFter reading through the search, it's not the clockspring, nor is it a loose cable here or there. I probably have to replace the unit and am asking the loving CEG community for maybe a picture of what it looks like? I'm looking and have printed the wiring diagram (thanks Tony2005 and the other guys who helped me with my last problem) as well as looking at Autozone for the removal of the unit, I'd just like to see if there's an archived picture of the unit and how to remove it and replace it because I'm heading to the junk yard next week (all the parts I can carry for $45). So this'll be included in my grab.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
First of all, have you read through this and checked which component you need? Have you check the fuse?
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cf/b3/0900823d801bcfb3.jsp

From Ford 1996 CD.

Speed Control Actuator Switch Assembly
Removal
1. WARNING: THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DISCONNECTED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT IS SERVICED.

WARNING: THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT NECESSARY FOR SYSTEM DEPLOYMENT IS POWERED DIRECTLY FROM THE BATTERY AND BACKUP POWER SUPPLY. TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY, THE BATTERY POSITIVE CABLE MUST BE DISCONNECTED FOR ONE MINUTE TO DE-ENERGIZE THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY PRIOR TO SERVICING OR REPLACING ANY SYSTEM COMPONENTS.

Disconnect battery ground cable

2. Disconnect positive battery cable and wait one minute. This is the time required for the air bag diagnostic monitor power supply to deplete its stored energy.

3. Remove five screws and upper and lower steering column shrouds from steering column.

4. Rotate steering wheel to gain access to driver side air bag module retaining bolts on rear of steering wheel.

5. Remove two driver side air bag module retaining bolts from rear of steering wheel.

6. Disconnect air bag module electrical connector from air bag sliding contact connector at the driver side air bag module.

7. Remove driver side air bag module from steering wheel.

8. Disconnect three speed control actuator switch electrical connectors.

9. Remove four retaining screws (two each side) from RH and LH speed control actuator switch buttons and remove speed control actuator switches.

Installation

1. Install speed control actuator switches and secure with four retaining screws (two each side).

2. CAUTION: Make sure wires are positioned so that no interference is encountered when installing air bag module.

Connect three speed control actuator switch electrical connectors.

3. Position driver side air bag module on steering wheel and connect air bag sliding contact.

4. Install driver side air bag module on steering wheel and install two bolts. Tighten to 11-13 N-m (8-10 lb-ft).

5. Install upper and lower steering column shrouds and secure with five retaining screws.

6. Reconnect positive battery cable.

7. Reconnect battery ground cable.

8. Check operation of speed control actuator switches.

9. Prove out air bag system.

Speed Control Servo (this is what you see in the Autozone link.)

Removal

1. Disconnect speed control actuator cable from throttle body lever.

2. Disconnect harness connector at speed control servo.

3. Remove speed control servo retaining bolt and slide speed control servo out of speed control actuator bracket.

4. Remove speed control actuator cable cap from speed control servo by pressing cap locking arm and rotating cap counterclockwise.

5. Remove speed control actuator cable slug from speed control servo pulley. Gently push actuator cable slug past retaining spring using a small screwdriver.

6. Remove speed control servo from vehicle.

Speed Control Servo Cable Connection

Installation

1. Note: Incorrect wrapping of speed control actuator cable core wire around speed control servo pulley may result in a high idle condition. Make sure that throttle lever is at idle position after speed control actuator cable installation.

Lock cable ball slug into speed control servo pulley slot.

2. Insert cable cap locking tabs into speed control servo slots. Rotate cap clockwise until locking arm engages locking tab on speed control servo.

3. Install speed control servo into speed control servo bracket and secure with one retaining bolt. Tighten bolt to 5-7 N-m (44-62 lb-in).

4. Connect speed control servo harness connector.

5. Connect speed control actuator cable to throttle body lever.

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/04/06 12:01 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard