Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
I did search, did not find anything that is relevant to what I need help on...

Hey there, I just bought a set of used SVT Side Skirts for my 98.5 SE. It is NOT the sport package, so I have NO side skirts what so ever on the car. I would assume that is where the drilling comes in. The guy that I bought them from did include a bran-new package of OEM clips for them and it looks like it has the pop-rivits in the bag too... but I honestly can't see how the hell it's going to help hold anything up.

I'm trying to visualize how to install the SVT side skirts on the car and I think I am missing some parts... I went to www.fordparts.com and looked at the pictures, but it doesn't help me much and not to mention it shows some backing plate or something... I'm confused.

I looked at the SE rocker install FAQ but I'm not sure if the same applies, not to mention, I need to make sure that I have all of the right parts before I even think about trying.

Can someone help me and tell me what all of the parts are, and what I am going to need to do to get these installed on a Contour that has never had side skirts before? Thanx guys!

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
The clips are supposed to be riveted on if your car didn't come equiped with skirts. They can be drilled as it states in the FAQ. Simple as that. The side skirts slide in the openings of the clips.

Follow the how-to
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=4

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
I did... and I understand, I have read that like 10 times but the problem is... when it starts to talk about the "bracket" that you are pop-riveting on to the car, then "rolling" the skirt onto it... well I think I am missing something.

I don't have a "bracket". All I have is the body pannel itself, the painted side skirts... I have metal clips and rivits, but they won't do any good on this becuase there is no way to attach the skirt from what I can tell... it looks like the inside of the skirts have little clips that hook onto something... that something is what I think I am missing.

W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
I'm just unclear as to what I need... that's all.

I have a Contour SE 2.5L MTX... it is NOT the sport model, so my side rockers on the car are just painted metal and looking at the car you can see the pinch edge... all painted red like the car. I have 2 side skirts (just the outter part that's painted) and a bag of metal "clips" I guess or whatever, and that bag has rivits too.

Looking at www.fordparts.com it looks like there is some sort of big backing plate or something that gets mounted to the car, then the side skirt attaches to that... but I honestly can't tell. That's what I mean, I really don't know if I have everything I need and/or if I need to get something else or not.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by WA2FAST:
I have metal clips and rivits

it looks like the inside of the skirts have little clips that hook onto something... that something is what I think I am missing.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
I have metal clips and rivits

it looks like the inside of the skirts have little clips that hook onto something... that something is what I think I am missing.

Look at this picture and you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't have rocker pannel molding at all on this car and I bought these used... I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Look at Part 2. It is the outside painted molding and ALSO some sort of backing plate... I don't really understand what this is illustrating. Is that some big plastic piece that gets attached to the car with the clips, then the molding attaches to that, or is that supposed to be a picture of the metal rocker pannel itself that IS the side of the car? That's what I mean.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Is that some big plastic piece that gets attached to the car with the clips, then the molding attaches to that, or is that supposed to be a picture of the metal rocker pannel itself that IS the side of the car? That's what I mean.

It's a close up view of the bottom of the car! LMAO! Have you looked at the lower side? The clips are just riveted/screwed to the body and the skirts are slid on. This isn't hard.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Never said it was Todras, just asking a question. I have never seen a SVT with the side skirt off... in that pic to me it looks like the top part of 2 is some sort of backing bracket that gets attached via the metal clips that I have since they put the clips inbetween THAT and the car. The pic looks like that needs to get attached, then the rocker over that. I guess since that's a closeup, all I need to do is rivit the meetal clips in place.

Like I said, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, that pic to me anyway was decieving and I thought I was missing some big piece that went behind it. I haven't taken the clips out of the bag yet, so I haven't really inspected it closely, it just seemed like I might have been missing something.

Guess I have all that I need... well I need one more bag of rivits from the steelership, I only have enough for one side.

Thanx for the help guys.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Part number 2 (the metal panel on the car, not the skirts), are already part of the car. On the front of that, part numbers 3 and 4 attach to it with rivets.

Once those are mounted on, the skirts slide into the metal clips that you riveted onto the car. Once in place, attach the plastic "screws" which will hold the skirt onto the car.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Thank you CSVT1214. So I guess I AM missing something... I need those plastic screws. I'll roll up to the dealership later today and see if they have any or can order them. Thank you again, I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard