Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Dylan Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Hi guys, I did a search on these codes, but I wonder if reading them together might suggest a different issue. The two codes are:

P0113 - Intake Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High
P0172 - System Too Rich Bank 1

The car is a 1996 GL with the 2.0 liter Zetec, 103,000 miles.
I have the CTA intake installed.

I cleaned the Intake Temperature Sensor (it was pretty dirty) and the MAF sensor (I clean this often enough..), car seemed to run a tad better, but the light never went out. Should I pull the negative battery cable to rest the computer, in hopes the CEL will stay off? Or should it have gone off on it's own, if the dirty AIT was the issue.. I'm open to suggestions to other issues.

Furthermore, I am going to have to get an inspection by the 1st of September. Since I live in NY I will fail inspection because of this. If I cannot solve this issue by then, and I pull the plug on the battery to reset the computer, drive it for say 5-10 miles, do you guys think the CEL will stay off that long at least, and be undetectable upon inspection?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Dylan

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
You can reset PCM by pulling negative terminal (but you lose clock and radio settings). Better to pull Fuses 4 and 11 under the Power Distribution Box next to the battery.

If codes return, test the Intake Air Temperature sensor and MAF sensor.

In addition, for an emissions check, the OBD II cycle must be complete or the car will also fail. Resetting the PCM just before inspection to get rid of the CEL will not help. If the problem is still there, once the OBD II cycle is complete (sometimes even before), the light will turn on again.

OBD II cycle.
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

MAF
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/25/0900823d801bcb25.jsp

and IAT
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/f8/0900823d801bcaf8.jsp

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/03/06 02:29 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The cleanliness or lack thereof of the IAT is irrelevent. It's just a thermistor.

Unplug fuse F11 only (F4 is not needed) in the underhood fusebox for 15 minutes with the ignition OFF. This will reset the computer.

In order to pass your emissions test, you will have to have all faults corrected and the PCM must run all onboard readiness monitors. This can take multiple drive cycles, maybe even weeks in extreme cases. A reset PCM will display a P1000 code until the tests are sucessfully completed which will be an automatic rejection of your car.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
D
Dylan Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Alright, thanks for the help. I'll pull those fuses and see if the CEL returns. If it does, I'll check those components as per autozone's instructions. One thing though, they don't mention what the resistance of the IAT sensor should be, once measured. Anyone know?

Thanks again,
Dylan

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Dylan:
... One thing though, they don't mention what the resistance of the IAT sensor should be, once measured. Anyone know?

Yes. Same as ECT sensor. Click Figure 5.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/ba/0900823d801bcaba.jsp

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard