Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
npurdin Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Ok, so I've got a distinctive click on every engine rotation (it seems). Not on every cylinder because that would make a hum.. just on one cylinder I'm thinking. The engine was dangerously low on oil recently, due to a dumbass that doesn't know how to tighten an oil plug. I'm thinking maybe a hydraulic lifter died? Can anyone else confirm this, suggest a test, or tell me what else it might be?

On a sidenote: I'm not equipped or willing to open up this engine. What's it gonna cost to have this valve lifter fixed/replaced? (assuming that's the culprit)

As always... thanks a lot for your help.

whoops.. just realized I said nothing about the engine I have. It's a 98.5 contour sport with a Duratec (v6)

Last edited by npurdin; 08/02/06 11:22 PM.

[image]http://webpages.charter.net/npurdin/Ow_My_Car!.jpg[/image] This is why I cry at night.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Fuel injectors will make ticking sounds too.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
N
npurdin Offline OP
OP Offline
N
ok.. so it may be a fuel injector as well then... for some reason that sounds less daunting. Anyway, thanks for the reply. what kind of volume are we talking about for a fuel injector as opposed to a valve not falling all the way?

[image]http://webpages.charter.net/npurdin/Ow_My_Car!.jpg[/image] This is why I cry at night.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by npurdin:
... what kind of volume are we talking about for a fuel injector as opposed to a valve not falling all the way?

Not sure what this means.

Another thing which might give a ticking sound could be a leaky exhaust (manifold or further down along the pipe).

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Tony, I think he was asking what sort of AUDIBLE volume (how loud) an injector would make, vs. a lifter, etc. Looking for a way to narrow it down based solely on volume, at the moment, it would seem.

if it is a rather succinct, and loud metal on metal TAPPING (loud), then I'd look at bearings, or the like. (You mentioned low oil)

There is a link to an audio clip with a failed (spun) bearing, posted recently. I know Tony2005 can find it. He seems to copy and paste every link ever posted on CEG. He's QUICK.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
LOL. Not quick enough.
This thread

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard