Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Okay here is what happend I was trying to do the foglight mod with parking light mod and while trying to reconnect the wires I noticed that my headlights when turned on, didnt turn off using the headlight switch switch,

I tinkered with the high beam lever/turn signal and found that IT turned the lights off not the switch for DRLs (so that must mean my DRL relay was fused).

Being at this for hours, I decided hey I can live with this but, as I was trying to insulate the whole thing up again using tape when I slipped and the ORANGE/BLACK wire touched the left metal siding... in which then sparks FLEW and then the wire stuck to the metal piece, so trying to just ightly touch the metal piece to see if any sparks were made, none, with any of the wires Orange or ORANGE/BLACK, so my headlight wiring is fused, what do I do about it? What can I do to fix it? If it's not a DIY, who do I have to take it to to have it fixed and up and running before night time?

Please any help would be appreciated

Last edited by m4gician; 08/02/06 07:10 PM.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Did I just cause a really expensive repair? The parking lights still come on, but the fogs and headlights don't come on anymore. I'm desperately waiting for some of you guys to comment on this so I can get everything rewired up.

Last edited by m4gician; 08/02/06 07:11 PM.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I have no idea what your post means. The more I read it, the more confused I got.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I tried to do THIS mod http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=7

I got to step 5, but then I tried rewiring EVERYTHING and said hey [censored] this mod I don't need to do it I might screw up. So in trying to reattached and reinsulate the wires back to their original state, I tested the lights to see if they still turned on, they didn't so I thought hrm... and that's when I discovered the headlight switch didn't control the lighting turning on and off anymore, it was the turn signal lever. When I put the high beams on the headlamps turned off, they turned on and stayed on when I had the highbeams off. I said eh, you know what I can live with this, but the funny thing was, my hand slipped in insulating the wires and the uninsulated wires made contact with the metal on the left side of the footwell. Now EVERYTHING is fused and the light's won't turn on regardless. I think I fused the wires because touching the metal part on the foot well with the uninsulated wires NOW doesn't produce any sparks when before it did.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Anyone have any idea? Is the whole thing fused? Or what happens now?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Cross feed and fuses. Go through all the wires to make sure that none is wired wrongly. In addition, check fuses to make sure all is fine.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I've checked the fuses but there is no way to know if it's fine or not. I want so badly to have this working, what I've done is now that I'm trying to touch the wires together like I did before to at least see the light from my headlights on, yes they were controlled by the highbeam switch but at least they came on. Now touching those wires together will not turn the lights on, nothing will... I don't know if the fuses are blown or not because there is no way to test for that, I want ot just basically give up and go to a mechanic that does electrical work to fix this. Or basically fix my screw up.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by m4gician:
I've checked the fuses but there is no way to know if it's fine or not. ...

Autoshops sell those fuse check thingys for $5. Put the fuse in, if it works, it lights up. In addition, you can use an ammeter to test for continuity. Or use a wire, flash light bulb, battery and connect the fuse inline. If the bulb lights up, the fuse works.

Fuses under dash and left of steering column for Passenger Compartment Fuse box and in Power Distribution Box next to the battery.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Oh man am I way in over my head, ... I have to check fuses 8 9 and 1? in the fuse box under the hood? What else? Also is there a way of maybe removing DRL capabilities from my car so that I can at least get my headlights working so I can drive at night maybe? This may be an expensive repair if I bring it to a mechanic which I don't want to do all because my hand slipped... any ideas tony? Btw the ORANGE/BLACK wire the uninsulated end touched the metal and I fused that wire... any ideas on where to go from there?

M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Okay hrm, what fuses are the Orange, and Orange/black wire connected to because I'll go to the store or the yard and pick them up right now. If anyone knows, please just let me know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard