Next Thread
Print Thread
#1622379 08/02/06 05:26 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I recently installed the camber kit on my car and don't feel like paying a shop a bunch of money to do this. Also im not goign to be running the proper wheel and tire combo for at least a week or two but would like the car to driveable in the meantime. Therefore i would like to do my own camber and toe alignment to make tire wear as minimal as possible. Then later go to a professional.

Does anyone know a better method of checking camber than with a level against the wheel?

How much negative camber is beneficial in cornering, but wont kill my tires on a daily driver?

Anyone know a better toe guesstimater than measuring the distance between the front of the tires and the rear of the tires?

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
#1622380 08/02/06 07:35 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:

Does anyone know a better method of checking camber than with a level against the wheel?

A camber/caster guage. They're less than $100. I use a level, though.

Quote:

How much negative camber is beneficial in cornering, but wont kill my tires on a daily driver?

I drive around with -2.5*. If you have just a HAIR of toe-out (essentially zero) and good four-bolt LCA bushings, this should be okay. To play it safe try -1 to -1.5*.

Quote:

Anyone know a better toe guesstimater than measuring the distance between the front of the tires and the rear of the tires?

Find the centerline of the car by measuring between suspension pickup points and marking the frame in the middle. Run a string along each side of the car between jackstands that's parallel to the centerline. Measure your toe numbers from the wheel to the string.

When I have time I'll point you to some really good DIY links.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
#1622381 08/04/06 10:45 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I just did my alignment today. I had a piece of u-channel aluminum that I bungeed to each front wheel horizontally, centered vertically. Then I dropped a plumb bob from this instead of the tread: much easier! FWIW, it looks like 1 thread on the tie rod end is 1/4" of toe: wow!

I measured my camber with a level and tape. I figure I'm only within about +/-0.2* doing it in a hurry, but with a little work (another piece of u-channel and a verneer(sp?) caliper) I think I could be within 0.1 degree.

BTW, I'm running 3/8" total toe-out up front, -2.7 (or 2.5 or 2.9) camber up front, and all the caster that gives me. We'll see how the agressive setup works tomorrow...

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
#1622382 08/07/06 07:03 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
let me know how that turns out.. i think im about 1/8-1/4 toe out.. if i had to guess i measured and was about 1/2" out .. turned one rotation.

i used a level on my guessed camber and it looked like dead even or just a little bit of camber. of course this is just a guess as well as im not sure how level the ground is in relation.

a guy my father knows was over in the garage as i was doing this and said the front wheel drive cars should be 1/8" toe in. I thought it was supposed to be toe out. i noticed you said toe out, any thoughts anyone?

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
#1622383 08/07/06 07:14 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
FWD cars handle and wear best with toe-out. Just a tiny bit of toe-out (1/8" or less TOTAL) will cause the wheels to become parallel under power. The two-bolt LCAs flex more than the four-bolt, so it's a bit of a game getting the right toe on them since it changes a lot when driving. 1/8" out per side is a very agressive street alignment, and 1/16" per side is probably better for wear. I don't notice much difference in feel with more toe, but it is certainly faster on course. It's also probably burning up my tires pretty quickly.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard