Veteran CEG\'er
T

--T.J.

2000 SVT Contour, Black, stock, no tickets yet... www.seismicradio.com
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
I buy into the seemingly indisputable fact that evolution has some "holes" in it's theory, just as much as creationism has holes in it's theory as well, which leaves a conflicted bloke like me trying to wade through the inconsistencies and fit both together in something that doesn't resemble a complete and utterly laughable mess of logic and faith.

Creationism has little to do with science and has everything to do about faith; evolution on the other hand has a great deal to do about science and at some point there are some things that even science has to take on a bit of "faith". I don't fully discount either theory or story, but neither do I fully buy into either of them the way that extremists on both sides of the topic have positioned these concepts and make no mistake, it's not the moderates on either side that are in control of the way that creationism or evolution are being presented to the masses...

Personally, I don't care as much these days about where we originally came from vs. where we are ultimately going. It's a fun argument to partake in, but I'm willing to bet that God and the monkies didn't plan on homo sapiens doing their damndest to end the party on this ball of dirt before it's time.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
FWIW I don't even believe in creationism. I believe in the combination theory

Problem is, "combination theory" or whatever you want to call it has arbitrarily chosen a cutoff to the evolutionary timeline at which point God apparently created life. Lo and behold, that cutoff happens to be at the point where evolutionary evidence more or less stops . So ID/combination theory basically says, "Here's where science hasn't yet been able to provide more evidence. The rest must be magic."

Scientists believe that whatever questions they haven't yet answered must be answerable with more research. If scientists throughout history simply gave up and said "We don't yet know the rest, so I guess we'll stop researching and chalk it up to God," very little of Man's scientific knowledge would exist. So, with all due respect, combining Creationism with evolution makes no sense.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
The combination theory does not cut off evolution at any point. All it does is add a religious "who" to the scientific "what/when/how".

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
The combination theory does not cut off evolution at any point. All it does is add a religious "who" to the scientific "what/when/how".

The first display in the museum is of two people discovering fossils. One of the people is a scientist who wants to know how it got there, and the other one is a Creationist who goes on to show how God created it (which sets the stage for the rest of the displays). So "God created fossils" is basically what I was getting at.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I already covered this topic a while back.

All the intelligent people agree that creationism and so called "intelligent design" are a load of bollocks.

The Theory of Evolution is not unassailable fact (it not imply that is is false, just that the data collected in the last 100 years only provides incomplete understanding) and is something that undergoes constant revision as we puny humans add to our tiny sliver of knowledge.

Faith is a non-provable hypothesis.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by Beowulf:
...Faith is a non-provable hypothesis.

So are love and hate, but I see few denouncing their existance for obvious reasons. I'll gladly entertain those willing to try, though...

No matter how far back we take science, it keeps coming down to a completely unknown "entity" or power that orchestrated everything that we are aware of as space and time. I personally think that it takes more faith to belive in some of the evolution theories that have spouted up (given the impossible odds they toss out) vs. a more practical approach towards hybrid Creationism that does embrace scientific fact. I don't buy into "Intelligent Design" anymore than pure Creationism or pure Evolutionism, but I believe that it has the foundation of correct thought though it's off-base with some of it's extrapolations on how homo sapiens came into existance.

One or two abberations in a system is acceptable to my statistical way of thinking; Evolution and how homo sapiens came into existance is based on so bloody many abberations that it's the statistical equivalent of winning the lottery EVERY time you purchase a ticket. Now, if scientists will admit the possibility that the game is "rigged" and that there may be a Higher Power somewhere beyond their ability to postulate and theorize that's playing "filthy buggers" with what they call Evolution, then I might pay more credence to what they are saying. Placing Evolution as a model through statistical analysis brings forth such mathematical absurdities on the odds that homo sapiens came into being in the way that Evolutionists describe that it's laughable...

I uncomfortably straddle the fence on this topic and I completely distrust ANY who claim to have the answer on either side, which has done nothing but to keep me trying to find a more comfortable position on the fence.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I was watching an interesting program about how the German Physicists were trying to add atoms to uranium in the early part of the 1900s. The uranium atom changed each time they tried. A Jewish physicist had been kicked out of Germany but she was still writing letters to the German physicists. She used Einstein�s theory e=MC squared to solve the problem. The Physicists were splitting the atom and a huge amount of energy was being released compared to the size of the atom. The United States saw the potential and built the atomic bomb.

The program was interesting until they got into the theory of the big bang and how everyone is made of space dust.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B

I agree with that... all religions are heresay based on what people wanted to believe.

And whoever believes that god is real, give me an answer to this:

Who is wrong? You, or the other multiple-diety religions (some of which outdate your single-diety religion).

The only thing you can say about that is "the bible says this, blah blah." That's all hearsay since it's just what was told (i.e. stories) for generations and generations before someone decided to write it down. Then it was edited to what King James thought was right...

Sounds like baloney to me!

Many religions have gone and passed over thousands of years, and I forsee that all current religions will pass over in the next few thousand years.

Also, how many times was the world supposed to end according to the bible? Hmm... Guess the bible wasn't written from stories by some all-knowing being!

Note, I'm not knocking anyone for believing in a religion.

Religion teaches good values to children to follow...

Well, unless your religion is an extremist one!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

I agree with that... all religions are heresay based on what people wanted to believe.

And whoever believes that god is real, give me an answer to this:

Who is wrong? You, or the other multiple-diety religions (some of which outdate your single-diety religion).

The only thing you can say about that is "the bible says this, blah blah." That's all hearsay since it's just what was told (i.e. stories) for generations and generations before someone decided to write it down. Then it was edited to what King James thought was right...

Sounds like baloney to me!

Many religions have gone and passed over thousands of years, and I forsee that all current religions will pass over in the next few thousand years.

Also, how many times was the world supposed to end according to the bible? Hmm... Guess the bible wasn't written from stories by some all-knowing being!

Note, I'm not knocking anyone for believing in a religion.

Religion teaches good values to children to follow...

Well, unless your religion is an extremist one!

Have you ever been to a southern Babtist or Holiness church? They are very extreme. A person would think their pants were on fire but they are only preaching. Anyone outside of their group is considered a cult member, sinner or devil worshiper.

Methodist or Salvation army churches are more moderate.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard