Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1622104 08/02/06 11:51 AM
C
CSVT#49 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
As I had promised I'm working on creating my own set of headlights to mount projectors in. I'm growing tired of waiting for Morettes as are a lot of people I'm sure. Thanks to one of our own (Berkel) I have a set of donated headlights to work from. I most likely will need another driver side headlight because the one he sent me had the lense cut completly off so that tabs on the lense cover were not present. The idea is to make a fiberglass replacement for the actual lense and do some modifications to the factory housing. Anyway here is my first crack at what I am thinking of doing. Looking for opinions. I think I may end up turning one of the parking lights more cockeye'd to the right (left for passenger side) so when making a turn the blinker is seen by on coming traffic in that direction. This is something I just put together in about 45min so it's not a perfect match of our headlights, but you get the idea. Enough talk here are the pics:

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I was wondering where this project went. So you're going to be using fibreglass? That sounds interesting, I'll get right to it, is it feasible and affordable to have this done? Is this a DIY thing? Btw, keep up the good work,

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I recommend using 90mm Hella assemblies. Easy to work with and VERY good quality units.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Very interesting! All I can say is good luck because the way our headlights are set up, its really hard to get creative in there and make stuff fit.

If you are doing all that work on a customized headlight like that, then dont go with Hella 90mm. You should go with more of a Valeo or Stanley (TSX) projector yet using the hella 90mm in ur highs. Or you can go bi-xenon using just one projector, there are endless possibilities..

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I thought about a similar project when i was doing my headlights...it was more of an extension of the fiberglass eyelids that were produced for our cars. Just overlay a thin layer of fiberglass over the stock lense...let it cure, then reinforce from the back. Then use the Hella 90mm which are a fully sealed and weather proof unit and you wouldn't even need the back of the housing. Create some brackets that mate the Hella high and low to the 3 mounting points on the car, as well as to a sealed turn signal unit (aftermarket LED would be perfect)...then figure out a way to secure the fiberglass front to the car... and that pretty much sums it up. The catch is that you would need to introduce a curved recessed area underneath where the projector sticks out from the fiberglass surface so that it flows around the projector lense...but that can be done after.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Goodluck Sorry about the other headlight

I can't wait to see progress on these bad boys

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
You will HAVE to use hella 90mm's. They are the only truley sealed projector available. otherwise, you wont be able to use fiberglass.

Good luck It's always nice to see someone trying something different, which is why I went with a Bosch projector instead of the 'tried and true' hella 90's.

Just make sure you can keep things the same on both sides

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
C
CSVT#49 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

If you are doing all that work on a customized headlight like that, then dont go with Hella 90mm. You should go with more of a Valeo or Stanley (TSX) projector yet using the hella 90mm in ur highs. Or you can go bi-xenon using just one projector, there are endless possibilities..

I would but as Pudmunkie put it...

Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
You will HAVE to use hella 90mm's. They are the only truley sealed projector available. otherwise, you wont be able to use fiberglass.

Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Just make sure you can keep things the same on both sides

Yes this will be the difficult part. Especially with the parking light holes being they are at an angle.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
C
CSVT#49 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by m4gician:
I was wondering where this project went. So you're going to be using fibreglass? That sounds interesting, I'll get right to it, is it feasible and affordable to have this done? Is this a DIY thing? Btw, keep up the good work,

Yes the plan is to use fiberglass. As far as being feasible and affordable that is the plan. If I can successfully create a mold then repeatability will be possible. Is this a DIY thing... no. The plan is once I make the process work for me I should be able to produce something and be able to provide it as a bolt on for people if there is interest. I would only do that if I was satisfied with the quality of it. I'm not running a business here so I'd have to worry about people reacting the same way they did to Milan when he did this for people. Grant it if I remember right he was charging somewhere in the range of $1k for what he did. I would hope to be able to offer these for $100 or less assuming you provide your own 90mm Hella units. That would just really cover materials and my time really/ I would most likely offer the parking lights as well(seeing how I'm going to have to make them) unless you want to try and build/buy your own.

However I don't want to even consider the sale of these or contemplate how much they are worth. This post was just started to see what people thought of my ideas and to provide feedback/opinions on the matter.

I will continue to post my progress with this and provide pictures as things move on. Thanks for the comments/opinions and motivation.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
People gawked at the 1k+ price tag of projectors milan was offering, but had no idea what was involved. If half of the people that said they were too much would have tried it themselves they would realize what all is involved.

When I build headlights for people, it ends up being 1k+ also, but more then half of that is built into supplies and parts.

I cant imagine this whole thing would be 'easy' for you to set up, so I dont see 100$ being feasible. You may think it is, but after the 3rd set or so you're going to hate yourself

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard