Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1621850 08/01/06 08:30 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
As promised, here is a write-up on how to fix dash warp...

What you'll need:
3 Wall Anchors (As described below)
Some way to hold down dash (Optional, but makes it easier)
1/4" Ratcheting wrench, Target has sets of them for $10 if you need this (Good excuse to get some new tools... )
Philips screw driver bit
Drill and drill bits...
Washers to go over the screws

Note: The Ratcheting wrench is needed because there is hardly any room to work with because the dash is so close to the windshield.

These are the "wall anchors" you will need.

The ones I have compressed down to something like 1/8" Check Home Depot or Lowes for these.

I used Loctite Gel Superglue to hold down the dash, It isn't a permanent fix, but it does help to get it out of your way when putting the trim piece back in.

After doing this, Take a look at where the trim piece goes, you will see 3 "slots" where the plastic has holes, you will slip in the wall anchors, tighten them down to compress the anchor part and then take the screw out, leaving in the anchor.

Then, you will want to take the black trim piece and drill 3 holes, this is where the screw will go down to secure the trim piece. Mark the centers of the spaces where the screws need to go and drill. Make the holes a little bit bigger than the screws so you have a little space to play, as you know the dash is a pain to work with, any extra space to play is nice. Make sure you check to make sure you drill the holes in the correct spot. It should be fairly self-explanitory where they go once you see it. If not, let me know and I can come up with some kind of sketch of what needs to be done.

After the holes are drilled, put the black trim piece in place and place washers on the screws and slide everything into place. Then, just tighten down the screws and enjoy your work. Make sure you don't tighten down the trim piece to much, the plastic is only so strong...

Sorry for the lousy pic but here is a final pic of mine. Any questions just ask here or shoot me a PM... Hopefully this helps you guys out!

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
any pics from inside the car to see how it looks all mounted?

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
It looks all stock with the exception of the 3 screws/washers, one in the middle and the other two on the outsides of the trim piece...

I'll try to get some pics later tonight for ya though...

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Absolutely need more pics! And I wish you would have done a step-by-step photo how-to, but this is great too! Thanks for the creative solution. Now off to home depot...

2000 Silver Frost SVT # 1637/2150 D.O.B. 01/14/2000
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Sorry for no step-by-step photos but I think once you take a look at it, the how-to should explain itself.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard