Next Thread
Print Thread
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
If I could pick your collective brains for a bit, I have an odd "snap" coming from the front of the car. It sounds like its on the firewall side, right on the centerline. It happens on hard acceleration or lifting at speed. I can "feel" it through the brake pedal when braking. It sounds like something is relaxing (snapping on) then rotating forward (snapping off). It's on jackstands now, and the only noise that I can hear when under the car is in the diff area when the car is in neutral and I rotate the driver's axle. When the car is in gear, there is a more pronounced sound from the middle of the car, but I haven't been under the car and had somebody turn the passenger axle thus far.

All of the engine and tranny mount bolts are tight, and I am at a loss. A friend has suggested the passenger support bearing, but I have other stuff to do before I remove the y-pipe and look at those bolts' torque.

There are also a couple of the "waffles" on top of the transmission adjacent to the shift turret that have fluid in them that I think are the result of a slight overfill.
Any hints about what to look for?

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by weargle:

There are also a couple of the "waffles" on top of the transmission adjacent to the shift turret that have fluid in them that I think are the result of a slight overfill.
Any hints about what to look for?

How is that possible with the fill being on the lower front? You also can't overfill with the car on a level surface.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
When one fills from above using a funnel and long tube, one has to withdraw the funnel somehow. I'm not saying that the fluid is new, I'm just posting all information that I am aware of in hopes of resolving this noise.

W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Rick has suggested that I pull the rear mount and check its bolt too. I'll do that tonight.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Check subframe bolts/bushings. CHeck control arm bolts bushings.
Check anything attaching the suspension to the chassis. Also check the motor mounts.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
All subframe bolts torqued to spec last night; control arms are new and also torqued. The firewall roll resistor is fairly shot and rotates freely in it's mount. It's 3M Windo-Weld time tomorrow.

W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Well, after WindoWelding the firewall side tranny roll resistor, the sound didn't go away. New hypothesis is that the fender transmission mount (under the intake) is shot, probably with the inner bolt broken. This accounts for the sound with the transmission side moving, and it is also a reported problem on the board.

Since it appears that a search didn't return the full solution to this problem, is there a rubber insert available in the aftermarket, or is the shot one reused with a new, higher grade through-bolt?

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Need a new auto grade bolt or mount. No insert offered.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard