Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
LOL I've been searching like a sucker for a supposed projector how-to for our contique and finally found that no one ever actually made one. I'd do it in an instant if I knew what to do. I couldn't even find the steps on what to do, buy Hellas or Valeos or something and then what? It just goes dead from there... anyways if you guys know a website or somethign that documents the fitting of ANY projectors affordably, or quickly even I would be the first one to go do it (I can withstand the balls melting heat). I even read through one of the threads that there may be a way to fit them in WITHOUT cutting or BAKING open the headlight? If that's true, post that one for sure, and update the aesthetics because i'm going to pull that off! If you guys can get a how-to without pics, I'll put up one with pics

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
People have projectors in their contour headlights? Never seen it. Never

Thats as close to a "How-to" as you'll get. Retrofitting takes alot of engineering, and trial and error as well as measurements.

You need to learn how to mount the projector level, how to mount it with the correct rotational cut off, and how to be able to aim them. Its ALOT of information, I researched alot, and am confident in some of my trial and error stages that I can set all of the above elements properly to have a fully functioning headlight / projector.

You need to start reading the forums over at HIDplanet, and read the automotive lighting FAQ. Once you've got a grasp over all of these things you can start

As for being able to mount a projector without cutting open the front of the headlights, its possible but would be difficult. I have some ideas on how it would be done, but none that Id like to share .

As for projector choice, Milan was a proponent of the hella 90mm projectors. He used them, Swazo used them, Dion used them, and maybe some others. They are a neat little unit, and as demonstrated by Dion (who really helped me with my swap) they are easy to mount and aim. They however do not look as good as True HID projectors do with HID systems. Goonz and myself prefer an actual HID projector. He used valeo's in his headlights, and I use Bosch projectors in mine. You should see some of the cut offs and color you can get from Hybrid projectors (RX330 projectors, and S2000 lenses

Good luck!

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G

M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
thanks man, that'll help. It looks like a steady hand and some ingenuity is needed to retrofit some projectors. The thing with that is, for my first time to get it right and dead on is like betting on the Bills to win the superbowl. I mean ya it'll look promising from maybe prep and even after the first step or two, but from there it's all down hill... anyways, I'll research it do death, and even try taking apart some bum headlights and trying before I even try with mine. Thanks a lot guys.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Good luck

I jumped in over my head on my first retrofit. Go with a small ish projector like goonz's Valeo's. and seriously consider mounting to the stock reflector bowl, because you can adjust using that. You will only be accountable for making sure its mounted in there level

M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Good luck

I jumped in over my head on my first retrofit. Go with a small ish projector like goonz's Valeo's. and seriously consider mounting to the stock reflector bowl, because you can adjust using that. You will only be accountable for making sure its mounted in there level

now I'm confused, you're saying using the Valeo's is more feasible than trying to do what you did? The one thing I'm concerned about really, is the money I'll have to spend if I screw up. However, I don't see it being a problem if I'm able to retrofit them propery. When I start it (when I get the valeo's in from lets say a junk yard audi... LOL), I'll take pictures along the way and maybe if I'm succesful put a picture how-to on there.

G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by m4gician:
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Good luck

now I'm confused, you're saying using the Valeo's is more feasible than trying to do what you did? The one thing I'm concerned about really, is the money I'll have to spend if I screw up. However, I don't see it being a problem if I'm able to retrofit them propery. When I start it (when I get the valeo's in from lets say a junk yard audi... LOL), I'll take pictures along the way and maybe if I'm succesful put a picture how-to on there.

he means that the Bosch projector that he has is a very very deep projector so its kinda tricky to make it fit. My valeos on the other hand are not and big and deep yet they are more powerfull then the bosch and easier to mount..I think thats what he means..

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
great link...very helpful

98.5 Black Contour SVT #5959
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
My valeos on the other hand are not and big and deep yet they are more powerfull then the bosch and easier to mount..I think thats what he means..

You sure about that? Bosch E46 ECE is where the money is

P.S thats only one, not both
If i had to choose, id pick the Bosch everytime Plus I dont need any bulb adaptors

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by m4gician:
for my first time to get it right and dead on is like betting on the Bills to win the superbowl

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard