Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I'm doing my second rod shifter transaxle swap and having a terrible time getting the rod mechanism seperated from the output shaft at the rr of the trans. Tons of rust on the U joint and it's totally frozen. Might explain the hard shifting.

Eventually, I get p*ssed off and get out the hacksaw. I figure that the U joint is the easiest thing to cut due to access issues and it won't be too hard to replace the whole assembly. So I cut it in half, get the trans out and call the local Ford dealer. Pretty surprised to hear that it's now an obsolete part! I thought that manufacturers were req'd to keep parts on hand for at least 10 yrs.

Car is barely 10 yrs. old and there are almost zero MTX cars in the wreckers locally. Not only that but the ones I've seen are even more rusty than this one. When I did the 95 3 yrs. ago it was in better shape than this "lower mileage" car and never had this issue.

Anyone else with this problem can contact me for the fix shortly. I have a racing type U joint on order and it's got to improve the shifting quality of a frozen U joint! Of course, there will be some custom machining req'd to make it adapt.

I've seen too many great looking Contours in the wrecking yard due to s**t like this. Blown head gasket-scrap it. Trans rebuild-scrap it. Clutch req'd-scrap it. And on and on...

Thanks for the great parts support, Ford!

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
You may be surprised to learn that there is no ten year rule, at least not in the US. It's just a common practice, not a legal obligation.

You might see if Terry Haines has some spare parts. I'll bet he does.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
The Borgeson U joint that I got is much improved over the stock piece of crap. I'll bet it improves the shift quality although I won't know for sure until it's together and running.

I may have tried TH if I couldn't do my own machining, but seeing as how I can, this will work better than stock. Plus I'll never run into this problem again as it comes with a rubber boot to totally enclose the U joint.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
S
S
I just recently Bought a 95 Contour SE(Two months ago) and the first thing I noticed was the incredibly hard shifting. Like first, second, fifth and reverse. Is this universal what causes this? I have already had to replace the little box that the shift rod sits in.. it cracked in two causing me to lose 2nd 4th and reverse..

Spencer

95 Contour SE Mods: British American Transfer Suspension, B.A.T. Sway bars, B.A.T. Short ram air intake, 17 inch Konigs.....
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It could be many things. One of the common problems was poor fluid. I would suggest changing the fluid. Use ATF+3 or ATF+4 which has more friction modifier than the stock Mercon fluid and see what happens. If it makes a big difference, you may want to consider using a synthetic fluid such as Ford Honey, Royal Purple, or Torco. Stay away from RedLine MTL.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Sure sounds like an actuating problem. If the car is a MI vehicle with winters very similiar to here, I'd start checking the mechanism. There are actually 2 U joints and the second 1 is under one of the aluminum covers.

JIM: Hopefully, people can read the label/manual and realize that our trannies need ATF, not manual gearbox oil. I've used Redline ATF in my transaxles for many yrs. w/out a problem.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Bradness:

JIM: Hopefully, people can read the label/manual and realize that our trannies need ATF, not manual gearbox oil. I've used Redline ATF in my transaxles for many yrs. w/out a problem.

BUNK!!!Suggest you & everyone look at the CURRENT lube spec list!

www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/quickref/mantrans.pdf

Rod shift and ALL MTX's back to '95 DO NOT have ATF
spec lubes!!!!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by todras:

spec lubes!!!!

And, once more, for the record: A parts counter list is not a "spec." It's just a list of what the Ford Parts guy is allowed to sell you.

The TSB "recommends" the Ford Honey for all MTX 75s, but "specifies" it for those built after Jan 1, 2000.

That said, I think the Honey, or the Torco, or the RP Synchromax, are better choices than ATF.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

spec lubes!!!!

Sure, we can blindly follow Ford's spec and forget about the collective wisdom that has been gained here at CEG over the past few years.

You will note that I suggested an ATF that is high in friction modifier to help diagnose the problem. ATF+3 has proven to be a reasonable lube for this trans. I also suggested that Ford Honey (Ford's now specified fluid) be considered if indeed the ATF+3 made a significant difference.

Somehow I'm not comfortable blindly following Ford in all things.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
spec lubes!!!!

Funny, but I guess you interpret Mercon as manual gearbox lube. Even though the manual clearly describes it as "ATF"!

Let me say it again. I've been using ATF (mineral & sythetic)as specified for 10 yrs. I've had the trans apart and there is no detrimental wear apparent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard