Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
So anyway, lemme remind whoever hasn't done it that headers are a total PITA!!!

However, those are the least of my problems since I was able to get everything tight, with the custom dual exhaust setup instead of a Y pipe lining up with the W-R headers (yeah yeah, the rear one comes down at a different angle...) being the biggest PITA of that job. Getting the EGR tube to go where I wanted it was a pain also, but I got it done.

Anyway... I lost/broke a couple bolts... Lost one of the EGR bolts, but the pressure from the tube holds it in place for now. Broke 2 of the throttle body bolts (guess they can't stand up to being in/out a few times, even with the correct torque).

Found 1 bolt on the UIM holding the throttle bracket on that will hold the TB in place until I get 4 new bolts.

However, I ran into a weird problem. The TB gasket I got from Bill Jenkins has a square hole on one end. If I put it to where the square hole was up, the little passageways at the top could suck unmetered air past the TB. Putting it down helped, but I still think my TB is missing something at the top.

I'll take pictures of that tonight and see what you guys think.

Now for the other issue. My car won't idle at all! Upon starting, it will rev to 2500RPM and hold for a while, then drop to 750 (really rough I might add), but as soon as you touch the gas, it's back up to 2500 for a while.

Last night I was driving home from work, and was checking it out some more. Between shifting gears if I blipped the gas, it would rev to 3200 RPM and hold until I let the clutch back out.

Other thing I noticed is that sometimes it will rev between 750 and 2500 continuously.

Unplugging the IAC causes a super rough 750RPM idle (no 2500, 3200, or wavering idle).

So do you guys thing that me cleaning the IAC made it worse than it was before? (500RPM idle, stall sometimes, etc)

Oh, and CEL turned back on after the drive cycle, so now I guess I better buy a scanner and see what it says (since the shop on base charges $35 to read your codes).

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
...However, I ran into a weird problem. The TB gasket I got from Bill Jenkins has a square hole on one end. If I put it to where the square hole was up, the little passageways at the top could suck unmetered air past the TB. Putting it down helped, but I still think my TB is missing something at the top.

Check the part number.

regular Duratec(non SVT)
F5RZ-9E936-A

SVT
F5DZ-9E936-AE

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Hmm...you've got an SVT, so if you've got the SVT throttle body gasket (sounds like what you described), then maybe you just need to flip it around a time or two to get it lined up right with the UIM. When I did my intake manifolds, I got the SVT TB gasket by mistake (I have a '97SE), but even after I got the proper one, I installed it upside down at first.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I know when I did my cleaning, it freed up a lot of airflow and it idled high as hell for a while. I adjusted the throttle cable (it has a little clip along a ribbed section, just give it some more slack) and it was all better.

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I should add that at the top of the TB/UIM interface, the gasket should not protrude at all. It's contoured to match the curvature there. If you've got some sticking up, you definitely have it in the wrong way.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
I should add that at the top of the TB/UIM interface, the gasket should not protrude at all. It's contoured to match the curvature there. If you've got some sticking up, you definitely have it in the wrong way.

I flipped it so that the square hole was down... if it was up, car would just race to the redline since air could bypass the TB.

After doing a bit of digging today during lunch, I noticed a small vacuum leak coming from the area of the EGR (probly the missing bolt). I also unplugged the IAC valve, and now it just dies while driving (so I have to 3 foot it ), but it's better than sitting at a light doing 2500RPM.

So I'm going to assume that I fubared the IAC valve when I cleaned it... Guess I'll order a new one along with the missing/broken bolts to complete the job.

I really wish I had a 2nd car to drive so I can park the SVT and work on it...

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Do you have an EGR gasket? Don't ask why I'm questioning that.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Do you have an EGR gasket? Don't ask why I'm questioning that.

Mark

Yeah, there's a gasket... I did a full gasket change... some of them were literally gone with just traces left.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Ok, driving it some more now, has weird symptoms.

So I'll drive it to work and have no problems (well, other than it not wanting to idle). The A/F ratio guage reads normally during this time.

While driving home from work, the car will seriously misfire under 2500RPM... while in gear doing less than 2500, the car will have no power and chug, but as soon as it gets over that, car will pick up. The A/F ratio guage reads off the scale on the lean side during this time...

Guess I'll pick me up an IAC and those bolts for the TB/EGR from Bill.

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Well I can tell you why its running lean, you have post MAF leaks like crazy with all those missing bolts. That may be causing the other problems as well, but Im not sure. I would bet that the leaks are the cause of at least some of your problems, however. Once everything gets put back together properly then let us know how it runs.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard