Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
banspy Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Hey all,
Been awhile since I've had to use the help, Contour's been running great! Anyways, my timing belt snapped on the highway last night.

Began trying to change the timing belt and components but got stuck at the middle cover. Anyone know how to get the middle cover off. I could use some pics or really detailed steps to getting the middle cover off. Everything else I can do!
Thanks for any and all help

B
banspy Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Sorry about the duplicate post!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
search this forum there is a post 98 timing belt faq with instructions

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
first you need to remove the water pump and idler pulley. Then from there remove the screws that hold that cover on. Sorry I can't giv eyou a more detailed description, but that's basically all you have to do.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
B
banspy Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
So you're saying that I need to remove the actual waterpump to access the bolt for the middle cover?
I allready removed the pulley for the WP, the engine mount, the right side wheel and splash shield and two bolts plus a hex / star head bolt that was next to the WP pulley.

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
no, waterpump pulley.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
dont forget to support the engine with a jack stand!

99 Ford Contour SE T Red XM Radio CD/MP3 Player Aftermarket Wheel covers debadged
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by jtmccann81:
dont forget to support the engine with a jack stand!

....cause your going to remove the engine mount for easy access. The Water Pump Pulley has 4 ieny wienie bolts. I leave it on but take off the Idler pulley......Been there 3 times this WEEK(two different cars).

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
B
banspy Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Thanks everyone...I got the middle cover off and am on my way to completion!

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Question are these interference motors?
I really hope my newly aquired contour dd isn't like my non daily driver

97.Contour.GL.ATX 89.Dodge.Colt.4G63T
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard