Print Thread
#1619959 07/30/06 05:26 AM
O
Ooklah Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
O
I've got a question for anyone that's familiar with the way impounds work.

One of my cars was impounded, and I'm not really sure why yet. The car was taken during the middle of the day, there was no knock at the door by an officer or anyone to let me know it was being taken away. I wasn't driving with a suspended license... heck, I haven't driven the car since I got my CSVT. It was parked by my house.

At this point, I really don't care about the car. The impound says I owe them way more than I can afford, and I told them that. They said that if I give them $500 and the car (by Tuesday, no less), they'll call it even.

My question is, is that how it works? Why can't I just forget about it all, and let them have the car? Why should I pay them AND give them my car? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Jonathan

Just your average lurker ^_^
#1619960 07/30/06 06:21 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Was the car parked on a public street? If so it can't sit for more then 72 hours or it can be towed. Lady that lived across the street from me didn't like to see my 75 F250 parked so she would call every 3 days. It got to the point that I was getting stickered every 3 days. I started parking on her side of the street and every other day I would move it 6 inches so the chaulk mark was moved. After about 2 weeks of having a sore thumb out her living room window she left me alone.

99 Contour SE Sport
#1619961 07/30/06 06:36 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
$500 and your car! How much are the impound fees??? Usually, they are only a few hundred dollars. I would ask them what the reason for impound was at the very least.

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
#1619962 07/30/06 07:12 AM
O
Ooklah Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
O
Yeah, it was on a public street. I'm sure the neighbors called on it. Either way, I don't want the car anymore.

The impound fees are at $900-something. They charge $46 or so a day that it sits in their yard, apparently. I didn't have the time to get a hold of them until a few days ago, though.

I can't really afford the $500, but I can at least pull it off. But anything more than that and I won't be able to pay any of my bills, etc., this month. I'm just curious if I can leave the car to them without them taking my money, too. And let them auction it off or do what they please with it without them coming after me legally.

#1619963 07/31/06 04:44 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
They have 31 days before they can auction it. It is called lein sale or something like that. Let them know what you are doing and they may be able to work with since you just want to get rid of it and it is money in your pocket.

99 Contour SE Sport
#1619964 07/31/06 07:24 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The purpose of a lien sale is to recover what is owed for towing and storage. If you surrender the pink slip there will be no need for the expense of a lien sale.

They are entitled to recover the cost of the towing, storage, as well as the costs involved with the lien sale.

If the city (or county) cited you for this, then the ticket is a seperate issue to be settled with whatever government agency it was issued for.

You are responsible for any costs that exceed what they get for the car. Lien sales don't usually get much action, so don't expect to get anything near market value on a lien sale.

As a practacle matter, tow companies don't usually go after additional funds from the owner because most of the time if the owner can't hang on to their car they have no funds to go after. It's the "can't get blood from a turnip" principle.

I would suggest that you take them the pink slip and explane that you can't afford to do anything else and see what happens.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1619965 07/31/06 08:31 PM
O
Ooklah Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
O
Alright guys, thanks for all the replies. They already have the pink slip, and I've told them that I can't afford it.

I really appreciate the replies! Thanks!

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard