Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1619684 07/29/06 10:23 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I use and like Wells Fargo for my regular banking. Their online tools are great, and I can use a single place to pay every one of my bills, they happen to also have bought my mortgage, and I even have a brokerage account through them accessible from the same online access point.

But, while their Online and Phone customer service is great, I don't particularly care for the people in virtually every branch I've been to. So if you do a lot of face-to-face banking, I wouldn't recommend them.

For signature loans I use a credit union on my work campus. The people are extremely friendly and their loan criteria and rates are MUCH lower than Wells Fargo. But their online banking tools, which is where I do 95% of my banking thesedays, are lacking. I also use them for savings accounts, since I like the fact that I have to go through a fair bit of trouble to access my cash and even if someone managed to get access to my usual bank account they wouldn't have access to any significant amount of money. There's only enough in the Wells Fargo accounts to pay the bills for the month.

So, in short, I use two banks to combine the best of both worlds. A major bank for regular banking with easy access to money 24/7 and a credit union for anything that involves face-to-face transactions and a place where I can put money I specifically don't want myself or anyone else to have easy access to 24/7.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
#1619685 07/29/06 10:40 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by ΓΆβ??β??\ΓΆΛ?Β»/ΓΆβ??ΒΊ:
their hours blow. Like 8am - noon on sat

How many banks that you know of, are open much later than noon on a Saturday? Can't get out of bed, that's your problem.

missed their hours by 10 minutes and their ATM was broken.

Did they change their hours on you? I know that my bank closes at 7:00, so do you think I'm going to go there at 7:10?

I am walking in monday and closing all 3 of my accounts and taking all my money out in cash and giving them the finger.

Very professional.

I don't give a crap about the interest rate they give me on my money since most times I have less then 500$ in... so an extra 1% doens't mean jack to me.

And you wonder why your bank isn't bending over backwards for you?

Sorry to call you out, but your attitude isn't going to get you on any bank's good side. Going to a big bank probably isn't going to solve any problems. You'll be treated as a statistic, and for any fees that you don't have with your current bank, you'll probably have with a new one. It's a game of trade-offs.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1619686 07/29/06 11:55 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I have accounts at Sovereign, Commerce (local to Worcester County), and two banks local to my hometown. Commerce is the nicest with hours, which is why I opened an account my freshman year of college with them (open till 7PM on weekdays and till noon and a half on Saturdays), though some branches have rather relaxed security measures. I've been satisfied with all of them otherwise.

#1619687 07/30/06 12:02 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Rofl mark,

Its actually people like me who keep these places in check. Why the hell would I put up with them sucking? If you don't show them that crapping on your customers heads... they will continue to do it. I also know that breaking my post down line by line makes you feel big... so you can have that. But needless to say, this is one (former) customer whom they won't be taking advantage of anymore. You gotta let them know how you feel, or they will continue doing it.

And congrats on feeding your e-peen by trying to make me feel small =)

Oh, and are you advocating that banks treat people will less money like [censored]? Thats how your post seems to make it sound with the 'bending over backwards comment.'

To everyone other then mark, thank you for your input. I've heard good things about Bank of America so I will check them out on monday... Wamu is also on my list of things to research tomorrow.

#1619688 07/30/06 01:26 AM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Fifth Third sucks a$$. I would magically be missing money in my account or have too much. I'm not stupid, I'm good with numbers, I'm training to be a Mechanical Engineer for God's sake, I can balance a checkbook but I could never get my checkbook to reconcile with their statement. When I would go to the bank and show them that even their statments didn't add up mathematically (Money I had at the start of the term according to them- money I spent as per their statement didn't equal the balance they said I had) all the dumbass manager could say, is "well that is what the computer says you have". Then months later I would have money transferred into my account or removed from it as an "account correction". Their account procedures are loose if that kind of thing happens to you every other month for 3 years. As if that wasn't enough when a Man moved in down the street from me who had a similar name to mine, they got our account information mixed up and I couldn't use my debit card to make online purchases because the address I gave them, MINE didn't match the info they had because they put his info on my account and mine on his. I had them change it back and a month later the same thing happened again and again. After the 4th time they got my info on his account and his on mine, I went to the man and explained the situation. He was furious with 5th/3rd. He kept his account there but read them the riot act in person at our local branch. I went and pulled every single cent out of my accounts and put it into US Bank. Since then I've never had a problem reconciling my accounts, and they've never made any "account corrections". I'm pleased with US bank because they give me totally free checking, I can buy stamps at their ATM's, they don't charge me to use other ATM's 4 times a month, and I have a cash back debit card. They are nationwide with a ton of ATMS, they have two on Campus and the surrounding area alone.

#1619689 07/30/06 02:04 AM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Sounds like 5th/3rd needs to be shut down for real.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
#1619690 07/30/06 02:16 AM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
square forwardslash square backslash square , I wasn't trying to insult you. My point is, banks don't take us broke bastids seriously. Personally, I don't expect them to treat me like some high roller, because I'm not. Sorry your banking institution sucks, I've been through that. Wells Fargo has got to be the worst I've ever been with. Talk about making you feel like you're 3 feet tall. Oh well, there are pleanty of banks that do want my business, and my credit union makes me feel like a member, and not just a number. I've had some instances where more money was taken from my account than was supposed to, and they immediately funded my account until they straightened it out. I understand what you're saying, with not being a pushover on you. I have that same attitude, I guess I just have a way of shoving something back up their arse, and they don't even realize it until I'm out the door. If I were you, I'd take all of my money out of there, and find a bank/credit union that treats you like a person, and don't look back. Sorry if I came off the wrong way.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1619691 07/30/06 06:53 AM
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
i use a local bank (Richmond County Savings Bank, which is now new york community bank) same deal. Their hours suck...I have free everything, but still they offer little in terms of anything else.

I am planning to switch to commerce bank. They're open till like 8pm every night, and still offer free checking, etc.

Only downside is i still have like 4 books of checks i ordered for my current bank.

I've heard good things about WAMU, but there are more commerce banks where i live.

charging you to use their own atm is ridiculous...sounds like citibank!

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
#1619692 07/30/06 09:29 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Rofl mark,

Its actually people like me who keep these places in check. Why the hell would I put up with them sucking? If you don't show them that crapping on your customers heads... they will continue to do it. I also know that breaking my post down line by line makes you feel big... so you can have that. But needless to say, this is one (former) customer whom they won't be taking advantage of anymore. You gotta let them know how you feel, or they will continue doing it.

And congrats on feeding your e-peen by trying to make me feel small =)

It sucks, but yes, unless you have accounts totalling at least six figures your bank barely knows you're there, especially a large chain. I help manage $6 billion in assets, and that's only for 35 small Wisconsin banks. I know I'm practically nothing to my bank as an individual.

My advice? Either go to a credit union, or try and find a small, local bank. Most of the banks I work with are very rooted in the communities they serve, and while you may pay higher fees in some cases, you may find a small bank is more responsive to you as a customer. But shop around; we have some banks that have regular crappy hours (M-F 8-5) and some that have full weekend hours, including Sunday.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#1619693 07/30/06 04:46 PM
E
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
E
I use 5/3rd for everything, three seperate business accounts, 2 personal accounts, 2 investment accounts, and multiple CD's for my daughters. I started with one small account to test after having nightmares with a local credit union (same as the OP, basically). 5/3rd was great, and they've only expanded since I started using them -- which makes finding a branch easy as cake, not to mention I have two in my area that are open late.

I didn't read the complaint about 5/3rd above, since everyone has different experiences, but I can say mine has been nothing but great (which is unusual from a large bank).

E1

1999 Cougar - Supercharged 3L 1992 Talon TSi - AWD Turbo 1992 Eclipse GSX - AWD Turbo
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard