Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Long story short, I'm going to repair/maintain/update my suspension. Springs will also be on the way. I went to advanced auto and found out they are useless, They carry parts they can't order...And parts that are wrong sizes listed in their PC inventory.

So where can I order bushings for the rear end of my tour?

I need:
2 x 18mm sway bar
2 x rear control arm sets

I could still order them from advance, but I have to do it online. Anyone know of other places to order these?

Sway bar bushings from advance

sway arm busshing from advance

just to double check with some guru's, those would be the correct parts? If I have to order them from advance I will, but I figured there may be better knowledge out there. And my sway bar is 18mm.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Wow, was I off. I need to keep my head straight. Too much excel spreadsheet today at work. It's really fried my brain. I meant I need tie rod bushings, even typed the same name for the links.

I found tie rod bushings from here:
Tie Rod Bushings

The illistration shows that the one on the end of the tie rod is the same as the on on the control arm. Is this true? Then I could order the ones from advanced (the 2nd link that I incorrectly labled)

I believe I may be getting myself confused here. So maybe another way of putting this is: "I can twist the tie rod, What bushings do I need to replace to stop it from twisting so easily"

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Last edited by ZeroHour; 07/29/06 03:15 AM.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
Wow, was I off. I need to keep my head straight. Too much excel spreadsheet today at work. It's really fried my brain. I meant I need tie rod bushings, even typed the same name for the links.

I found tie rod bushings from here:
Tie Rod Bushings

The illistration shows that the one on the end of the tie rod is the same as the on on the control arm. Is this true? Then I could order the ones from advanced (the 2nd link that I incorrectly labled)

I believe I may be getting myself confused here. So maybe another way of putting this is: "I can twist the tie rod, What bushings do I need to replace to stop it from twisting so easily"

Thanks in advanced for the help.

I dont believe you can get tie rod bushings... You may need sway bar bushings or more paticularly end links, which are probably worn out...

The tie rod bushing is a boot over the ball that bolts onto the hub. Its pretty much attached to the outer tie rod... if you need a new tie rod bushing, then you need a new outter tie rod... which means when you install that you need to get an alignment.

Why exactly do you think you need new tie rods?

Last edited by AliasJerkââ??¢; 07/29/06 10:22 PM.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
haha Well I'm working on the rear of the car. If your pic is the rear I think I may have been driving the car in reverse for over a year.

Joking aside, Maybe this will help.

Number 5 is the tie rod. Or am I miss naming parts?

Number 6 is the bushing for number 5. (that is the bushing that is worn badly. I can twist number 5 by hand, and the flex occurs at the joint with the #6 bushing)

Hopefully this cleared up alot of the confusion.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
haha Well I'm working on the rear of the car. If your pic is the rear I think I may have been driving the car in reverse for over a year.

Joking aside, Maybe this will help.

Number 5 is the tie rod. Or am I miss naming parts?

Number 6 is the bushing for number 5. (that is the bushing that is worn badly. I can twist number 5 by hand, and the flex occurs at the joint with the #6 bushing)

Hopefully this cleared up alot of the confusion.

The terminology is easily confused, but I think you have it right--or at least it matches the Ford parts catalog.

Do you want rubber/OEM or Poly?

IF you want poly, I recommendSuspension Restoration Parts Co.. They carry every Energy Suspension part number in stock, so I ordered on Tuesday and it arrived on Saturday. $17 plus shipping for the trailing arm set. Most other vendors list the parts, but don't order them from ES until you order. This can take several weeks to get the parts to you.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Are the number 6 bushings really identical? I was going to order them from advanced auto online. I know I have the right sway bar bushings through advanced. I just want to make sure that the bushing in the tie rod and the knuckle are the same.

And yes I was going to order energy suspension through advanced.

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I'm reading information while i'm scanning documents, but I keep finding rear "control arm" bushings. Do the control arms have bushings? Or are these being identified incorrectly on other sites. (meaning sites are listing the tie rod/knuckle bushing as control arm bushing)

Energy suspension:
web page

They list rear control arm bushings.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'm reading information while i'm scanning documents, but I keep finding rear "control arm" bushings. Do the control arms have bushings? Or are these being identified incorrectly on other sites. (meaning sites are listing the tie rod/knuckle bushing as control arm bushing)

Energy suspension:
web page

They list rear control arm bushings.

The control arms have bushings.

The ES "control arm" bushings won't fit there. They do fit in the tie rod and knuckle.

At this point, the only way to replace the actual control arm bushings is to replace the control arms, AFAIK.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
hooray! That is what I was hoping to hear! Almost time to place an order. :-)

I did send ES an email and asked them about it. I'll be waiting for a response tomorrow.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard