Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I had a problem yesterday getting a muffler shop to install this cat I got from magnaflow because he said it wasn�t OBD-II legal. I know he didn�t know what he was talking about because I knew it was, he was looking for a sensor plug on the cat and I tried to explain to him even on the stock cat there isn�t one.

So I called Magnaflow wanting to check out to see what the recommended cat was for a 98 CSVT and he told me a 91000 series which was good because I have a 91006. Then I asked if it passes CA regulations for a cat. He said they have not been cleared yet by CA and there was no other cat you could buy for your car besides the Ford factory cat at the moment that would pass CA regulations.

I wanted to know if anyone has changed their cat to an aftermarket one. Also if they have, then have you passed smog?

The magnaflow technician said that those cats have not passed through CA regulations yet, but could in the future.

Thanks for the help.

3L process done
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
May I ask how much it cost? Thanks.

1998.5 Contour SVT - Silver/Blue - 107K miles.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Anyone with a Y-Pipe from Sho-Shop should have an aftermarket hi-flo cat on their car.

I have one, passed the sniffer fine. Install was done at a somewhat shady shop. I would have installed this thing myself but the dumb ass Ford UAW workers decided to strip the bolts.......

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by ValCor:
May I ask how much it cost? Thanks.

they are around $60-75 from magnaflow. I called around and CA doesnt have an approved cat for the contour. So I am not sure at the moment what I am going to be doing. I cant find any place to do the install for me. I guess it needs an OBD-II stamp on it.

I am just trying to find a converter with the stamp. After the guy at magnaflow heard I had a contour he wouldnt tell me a converter with a stamp.

Anyone have any ideas?

3L process done
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I have the bat y-pipe on my svt.
It replaced the stock cat with their high flow cat (might be magnaflow not sure).
I have passed the smog test twice with it on with no problems.

98 E0 SVT Contour Black'n'blue Corbeau TRS seats/Roush prep'd MTX/Fidenza/Spec Stg II/KKM
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Ya I dont think that it will be a problem for me to pass smog. I just need to find someone to put this cat on. I tell them I dont care that I wont pass smog according to them. But they seem to be afraid of getting in trouble because of the rules.

If anyone knows a exhaust place that would do it let me know please

3L process done
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
A) Check Craigslist
B) Michaels Mufflers
C)Babes Mufflers off the Alameda

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
AFAIK there are no aftermarket cats in Cali that are CARB approved besides the OEM. So technically, you would not pass the visual smog test with anything other than OEM. However, like most emissions related things in Cali, if you pass the sniffer, very few shops will notice what aftermarket parts you have on.

Just install it yourself and you should be fine.

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I need one of those pipe widener's if I want to install myself. Anyone have welding tools?

3L process done
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Just buy the pipe from Trubendz.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard