Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Actually, 210hp/254tq, it is shy in both areas. It is also has a lot more NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) than the more modern engines in competing models. The competition is putting out more power and torque smoother and more quietly.

I compared mid-size, base model, truck-based SUV's. The Explorer has an advantage in room over some (The Pathfinder, 4Runner, Durango, and extended versions of the GM's also seat 7). The Explorer's accomodations are an advantage, but completely separate from it's outdated engine.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The 35 is still going to come up short when first launched (250ft lbs). I'm definitely for the added horsepower, im just saying i don't think the 4.0 has outlived it's usefullness just yet.

on a side note, i like how wikipedia lists the 6.0l v12 (aston martin) as a duratec. I mean, we know it is technically, but don't expect "normal" people to realise it!

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
Maybe because it is completely uncompetitive in the modern car market when compared to engines used in peer vehicles.

I obviously agree, its definitely NOT refined enough. It's way too harsh. All reviews on the stang mention the harshness and add that as another reason to stick to the V8.

An engine like that does not belong in a sports car. If they want to continue to run in it the Explorers they need to pull some more ponies out of it and greatly reduce its abrasiveness.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
Maybe because it is completely uncompetitive in the modern car market when compared to engines used in peer vehicles.

I obviously agree, its definitely NOT refined enough. It's way too harsh. All reviews on the stang mention the harshness and add that as another reason to stick to the V8.

An engine like that does not belong in a sports car. If they want to continue to run in it the Explorers they need to pull some more ponies out of it and greatly reduce its abrasiveness.

My opinion says that with the idiots running Ford management, the same engine will probally be there for a long time, with little-no changes. But then, I could be wrong.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
What I don't understand is why Ford will make an engine that is on par with everything else in the market.....never any ground-breaking/industry leading power. Just enough to keep it competitive.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by hectik:
What I don't understand is why Ford will make an engine that is on par with everything else in the market.....never any ground-breaking/industry leading power. Just enough to keep it competitive.

A few years ago they made a Duratec. You should Wiki it. One of the most power per liter in it's day. They also make these DOHC V8's for Mustangs that are small displacement and make great power as well.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

Not the case with the Mustang. 500 HP V-8 is kinda earth shattering to me. There weren't many of those around when Ford announced it.

Seems the formula for success is a bit more complex than most think. They try to overcome the reliability perceptions of American cars, so they produce average engines that last a long time. Keeping a Hi-po power plant together is a bit more complicated, therefore reliability issues, material or design weaknesses will surface sooner in the engine life.

It's a balancing act, I recon. Best way to deal with it is to offer up the typical car, establish the dependability, then offer an engine option for more power (in limited numbers) to keep the enthusiast happy. Sorta, kinda the direction they're heading it looks like...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Not the case with the Mustang. 500 HP V-8 is kinda earth shattering to me. There weren't many of those around when Ford announced it.

I saw my first GT500 yesterday, in fact. Took a second to realize what it was...and it wasn't even red.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by todras:

A few years ago they made a Duratec. You should Wiki it. One of the most power per liter in it's day. They also make these DOHC V8's for Mustangs that are small displacement and make great power as well.

Are you kidding? The Type-R made 197 HP (SVT made 195)out of a four banger. Not to mention the GSR made 170 HP (regular Duratec made 170) out of its 1.8L. Ford not to mention was still making a HUGE 130 HP out of it's 2 liters.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
the svt duratec still did hold the record for a couple of years.

DO YOU RESEARCH!!! [sorry had to say it ]

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard