Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
I noticed when I bought the car (rather overpriced for all the problems it had, but it has low mileage and I HAD to have a car), after a heavy rain, there is a puddle of water in the passenger floorboard.

After searching, I see a lot of people saying it's the cabin air filter or something like that, but they say the leak is in the corner.

This water puddle (at least a cups worth depending on the rain) is in the dead center of the floorboard, and there is no trail of water on the carpet to show it's leaking from any direction.

There is no water on anything else I could see, and it just appears to magically pop into the middle of the floorboard. Ideas?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Pull the carpet back and inspect the floor pan while using a garden hose....

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
thats probable the best thing you can do. simulate the conditions and try and find where its coming in

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
check the head liner, and try and find a spot on the car where it could be coming from, it's not possible that is your A/C system or anythign like that? from under the glove? Because if so it's probaly a small roof crack or something like, small or even if you have a window or sunroof open a jar. If it's constantly in one spot you're looking at a crack not a leak.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I just noticed the same thing in my car a week ago, and its beendoing it for a while i think, ecxept I can get driver and passenger side full of water and absolutley no trail. I'm most likley gonna leave it alone because I'm sick of all the stuff that has gone wrong with this car recently and its hopefully not gonna do anything more than annoy me for the remaining years that I might have the piece of junk.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by protegechris:
...This water puddle (at least a cups worth depending on the rain) is in the dead center of the floorboard, and there is no trail of water on the carpet to show it's leaking from any direction.

There is no water on anything else I could see, and it just appears to magically pop into the middle of the floorboard. Ideas?

Probably A/C drain pipe plugged. Check under the firewall under the car. There is a "tube" running out from the firewall. Turn on the A/C to max and see if any water is dripping from the "tube". If water isn't dripping, you know it is plugged up.

Big Jim mentioned in a previous post in the ARCHIVES-PROBLEMS that it could be a plugged A/C drain and the drain runs in the firewall. You need to go under the car to find it just above the exhaust. You may want to clean out the undersides first as it is difficult to find the drain. He used a coathanger wire to clear the drain and you shouldn't push in more than an inch for fear of damaging the insides.

Last edited by Tony2005; 07/27/06 02:53 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I bet it's the air filter. Take off the cover between the hood and windshield and check out the housing. Water will soak into the insulation under the carpet and run down into the footwell before filling it enough to come up through the carpet.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i would check the weather seal on the door, my drivers side rear door was leaking from the seal and it pooled in the center of the floor behind the drivers seat and there was no trail from the entry

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
It's sad I have so many problems. I was forced to buy it for $1650 with a faded-up hood, cracked windshield, but otherwise perfect (aesthetically and mechanically as far as I can tell 5k miles in)

First off, apparently I left my brake fluid cap off... :/

The door seals are all good, headliner is still spotless, and the problem is only when the car is sitting in the rain... there's no kind of leak when it isn't runing and the A/C *is*, so I assume that's not it.

Above the floorboard, covering up the stuff behind the glovebox -- there is a piece of carpet. I felt it, and it's soaking wet. The water leaks onto it and then off a corner into -- you guessed it -- the middle of the floorboard.

What's the most likely culprit up there?

Auto-X, couldn't find the cover you mentioned :-/

There is a seal similar to the door seals in the engine bay, right under the windshield. It wasn't attached, so I attached it -- but I assume that's just to guide water away from the engine.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by protegechris:
...There is a seal similar to the door seals in the engine bay, right under the windshield. It wasn't attached, so I attached it -- but I assume that's just to guide water away from the engine.

This could be the problem. Water is going into the cabin air filter housing and then to the passenger compartment.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard