Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
You want the cheapest tire? Or, do you want the best tire you can get for the least amount of money?

How do you define "best tire?" You seem to have misgivings about the ice traction rating of the Kumho, so that's a clue, but I can't read your mind.

If you just want the cheapest tire, go to your local tire store and buy their house brand, and forget about all this research and tire ratings hoo-hah.

Either tire you mention is probably better than your worn out stock "Generals."

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
In the same size as you, im looking for a set of tires for my "winter wheels" they are going to be all season tires, but the Rochester winters really aren't bad at all.

Anyways, im looking at the Falken Ziex ZE-512 from Discount tire, which ends up being just shy of $200 for 4 tires. Or the Kumho Ecsta ASX, which is an "Ultra High Performance All Season". The Kumho's are like $235 shipped and there's a $40 rebate on them so it makes them cost about the same...

Just thought I would throw those in there. Im leaning towards the Kumho's...

Anything's better than the crappy General tires that are on them now... :-/

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Wow, good timing for this post.

Originally posted by m4gician:

Kumho Touring Plus 732 -> cheapest at $43 a tire poor ice traction

I have these tires right now, pretty decent in the summer, and pretty good dry traction. Not so great in the winter. Crappy traction in the wet or snowy conditions....i went with them because at the time they were fairly cheap and the user reviews on tirerack were very good...
I plan to get new tires in a few months and I really want to get rid of these kumhos before winter.

Originally posted by m4gician:
Yokohama AVID TRZ -> $59 a tire but great ice and snow traction (vs. the Kumhos).

I'm looking at these exact tires as a replacement! If you look at tireracks website they have a buch of comparison tests and written review info on these tires. I think i'm going to get them towards the end of summer.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
ya amar, I'm looking at those yokohama, now the thing is I probably will get ripped off by the shipping of those tires here, so I'm just trying to find a dealer who has them, plus my dad has a mechanic that will balance em for me for like $20 + a sandwich.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Got a set of Avid Touring (not the TRZ) for the Honda last year. LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG tread life of 80,000 miles, good traction, smooth & quiet ride, adequate handling.

When the BFG G-Force sports wear out on the Zetec, I'll prolly get the touring tires for that.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Got a set of Avid Touring (not the TRZ) for the Honda last year. LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG tread life of 80,000 miles, good traction, smooth & quiet ride, adequate handling.

When the BFG G-Force sports wear out on the Zetec, I'll prolly get the touring tires for that.

Like what was said before, can't go wrong with Yokohama's... and like what was said millions of times before... the japanese for some reason know how to make ANYTHING better than the americans...

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
You'll get much better gas mileage, better handlling, a quieter and more pleasant ride and better acceleration if you use all seasons on cheap alloy rims for the summer and save the winter tires for the winter.

I love my snow tires in the winter, but in the spring when I put on my all season Avons, my Contour is a compleely different car.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard