Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
First off, I'm not really smart when it comes to transmissions so please correct me where necessary. Yesterday I was traveling down a steep hill. I decided to use low gear to save on my not so good rotors. I shifted into 2, then 1. During 2 and 1 the trans seemed to be moaning. It seemed to be doing its job slowing the car down. But why was it so load? Our Taurus's and Caravans never made noise in low gear. I was affraid I put harm on the transmission but it seemed fine thereafter. I then began to wonder if I should have turned off the overdrive before shifting into low gear. I guess i'm not really sure when overdrive should be turned off. If anyone can clue me in on this it would be greatly appreciated. It's an auto if it makes any difference in this.

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
You did what is called "Engine Braking" and it does sound very loud. Trucks do that all the time and it sounds like a plane taking off from the runway. Some towns ban engine braking by trucks due to the noise.

If it is working fine in D when you start out, then you should be fine. Do check the ATFluid level and condition (should be clear red/pink).

Last edited by Tony2005; 07/26/06 01:40 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Thanks

I'll check that tonight.

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i think overdrive is basically meant for cruising speeds like the hwy to lower your rpm and increase mpg. probably should be turned off for city driving to give u extra rpm to get around faster. if i use my moms explorer its on 99% of the time. i'm never in that much of a rush that turning off the overdrive will get me there quicker. on rare occasions i'll turn it off, even on the hwy to get extra oomph on onramps then i just turn it on again and cruise. downhill engine braking, not sure if it should be on or off

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard