Next Thread
Print Thread
#1617240 07/26/06 03:02 AM
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I'm currently working on my 3.O project, using an '01 Escape as my bottom end, and rebuilt 2.5 heads. Then swap in the SVT cams and all the 2.5 timing components in. On the '01 Escape it has a newer knock sensor and oil pressure sender. I was wondering if there would be any harm in splicing the new sensors into my existing wire harness.

Thanks, Seth

BTW I have a great set of low-mileage oval port heads for sale if anyone is interested.

#1617241 07/26/06 03:16 AM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I recommend drilling and tapping the knock sensor hole in the block to the correct size (M12x1.5) that you need for your existing sensor. Your ECU is calibrated to detect knock using that sensor.

For the oil pressure, why don't you just swap the sensors? One is not better than the other. The hole in both blocks is the same size. At times, they have used a pipe thread adapter between the block and sensor but they finally deleted it.

#1617242 07/26/06 03:29 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by procyon:
I recommend drilling and tapping the knock sensor hole in the block to the correct size (M12x1.5) that you need for your existing sensor. Your ECU is calibrated to detect knock using that sensor.

Thats the best way to go. Although I believe several people just spliced the harness into that sensor and have encountered no issues.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
#1617243 07/26/06 03:42 AM
B
Learned patience the hard way
B
Your ECU is calibrated to detect knock using that sensor.

You got any proof that the ECU is calbirated to that specific sensor? Why go to the extra work and expense of buying the tap and worst case scenario possibly dicking up your blcok? Knock sensors are set to detect a certain range of hertz that knock occurs at. I doubt that ford specifically changed the hertz range they were attempting to detect between the years.

I send all of my blocks out with the newer style sensor in place to be spliced into the harness. As long as you use a quality moisture proof splice, you're good to go.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
#1617244 07/26/06 05:56 PM
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Thanks

anyone ever used the escape power steering pump on their hybrid?

-Seth

#1617245 07/27/06 03:37 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by ncalaskan:
Thanks

anyone ever used the escape power steering pump on their hybrid?

-Seth

Yep, works good too. It's lighter weight than the stock contour pump since the pump housing and mounting points are all one-piece aluminum now. Very lightweight by comparison, maybe 1/4-1/3 the weight of the stock pump and mounting plate.
You can use all but a couple of bolts from the old pump I think but you can see which ones won't be necessary anymore.
Also it uses a splined pulley with a single nut to remove it versus the four bolts to hold the stock pulley on.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1617246 07/27/06 09:54 PM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Your ECU is calibrated to detect knock using that sensor.

You got any proof that the ECU is calbirated to that specific sensor?

Actually, I have heard that from people who work in Engine Calibration. However, they have to walk a very fine line regarding emmisions. If their calibration throws a false CEL, it's a big deal. You can see why they might be touchy about changing knock sensors. To someone just having fun modding their car, clearing a false CEL once in a while may or may not be a big deal.

My recommendation to ncalaskan gives him a known good setup. Your recommendation is based only on your experience with a somewhat limited sample size.

#1617247 07/28/06 01:34 PM
B
B
While I agree my sample size is a bit limited in comparison to using the stock sensor, my sample directly targets his application.

When you were asking the people in emissions, did you ask about it being calibrated to a specific sensor or to a specific engine. My suspicion is that different engines may be tuned to slightly different harmonics and sensitivities, but the sensor is matched to the engine and not to the ECU which also would be more in support of my theory of keeping the sensor that came with that engine with it.

A knock sensor is a glorified microphone so the ECU is picking up electrical pulses based on what that microphone detects. If you change out to a different microphone on the engine, it *could* pick up noises differently which means it will put out different voltage and affect the reading of the ECU. Personally, I'd rather stick with the microphone that the engine is matched to and go that route.

I can see both of our arguments having valid points, but I think we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard