Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I've read that people on hear think these pads are crap, but to anyone who rode in my car with these i think would dissagree. Anyways, lately i noticed considerably less braking power, and while going through inspection i found the greenstuff pad has seperated from the backing plate.
I would order hawks right this second, but im hoping to have the car back together in a day or two and don't know if i feel like waiting.

I have grown to love having an above average brake with reduced fading, if i go with advanced auto bendix Ti's am i going to be dissapointed? Also i know the greenstuff's were marketed as leaving less brake dust, i dont know if that was true or not but everyone is saying all of the good pads dust like crazy. Well my wheels are annoying to clean, is there one good pad that has substancially less dusting or are they all about equal?

just asking for people's opinions here,

Just noticed, both tire rack and Summit racing do not have the hawk pads for the 98-98.5 SVT caliper.
So i guess it's greenstuffs again or bendix Ti2s.

Last edited by Stylin55_oh; 07/25/06 02:08 PM.

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:
I've read that people on hear think these pads are crap, but to anyone who rode in my car with these i think would dissagree. Anyways, lately i noticed considerably less braking power, and while going through inspection i found the greenstuff pad has seperated from the backing plate.
I would order hawks right this second, but im hoping to have the car back together in a day or two and don't know if i feel like waiting.

I have grown to love having an above average brake with reduced fading, if i go with advanced auto bendix Ti's am i going to be dissapointed? Also i know the greenstuff's were marketed as leaving less brake dust, i dont know if that was true or not but everyone is saying all of the good pads dust like crazy. Well my wheels are annoying to clean, is there one good pad that has substancially less dusting or are they all about equal?

just asking for people's opinions here,

Just noticed, both tire rack and Summit racing do not have the hawk pads for the 98-98.5 SVT caliper.
So i guess it's greenstuffs again or bendix Ti2s.

Have you tracked the car on a road course? IMO that's the only way to tell if pads actually make a difference.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
the car will never see a road course..but might see autocrossing...

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The only benifit you'll get from good pads is that grippy bite and less pedal pressure needed. It feels good. Stock pads or Bendix will have less torque for a given pedal pressure, but will work fine for autocross. If you think you'll miss the grabby, sporty brakes, contact Dan at Carbotech and tell him I sent you: he'll give you a deal on the Panther Plus. They're a nice step up from the Greenstuff in performance. You will get quite a bit of dust, but it's the easiest dust to clean I've ever encountered. You can just hose it off.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
The only benifit you'll get from good pads is that grippy bite and less pedal pressure needed. It feels good. Stock pads or Bendix will have less torque for a given pedal pressure, but will work fine for autocross. If you think you'll miss the grabby, sporty brakes, contact Dan at Carbotech and tell him I sent you: he'll give you a deal on the Panther Plus. They're a nice step up from the Greenstuff in performance. You will get quite a bit of dust, but it's the easiest dust to clean I've ever encountered. You can just hose it off.

I agree with Phil, except I contend that ergonomic improvements should be high on your list of priorities for autocross.

As long as the brakes don't fade on a 40-second run, the only benefit you'll get from better pads is how they feel--initial bite, and modulation--but these things can make a big difference.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard