Next Thread
Print Thread
#1615600 07/24/06 01:30 AM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
D
I have owned this car for 2 years now and it is on its third top tranny mount.

The first one went I think due to a bad pot hole. I was able to pull the broken stud out and replace it with a Grade 8 bolt. About a year later that bolt breaks, don't know when or how I just found it like that when I was cleaning the filter. I wasn't able to replace the bolt on that one since it broke inside the shaft. The third one broke last night, the funny thing was all I was doing was backing into my garage. I put it in reverse slowly started to roll back then I hear a pop noise and it felt like I ran something over with the front tire. I check the driveway and there was nothing there pop the hood and sure enough there it is sitting on its side in the hole.

Now is there any reason as to why I am breaking these so often. I don't beat on the car, its only driven on nice days, I have only put 13,000 miles on it in the 2 years I have had it. Would it be possible that something is not aligned correctly?

TIA

Originally posted by Davo:
Good work, Dave. You're definitely the #1 interior guy around these parts; always innovating.

Redline Goods ShifterBoots:5% Discount
#1615601 07/24/06 01:34 AM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
maybe you should get the bolt from a dealer...

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1615602 07/24/06 04:39 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
has there been any detailed motor work done for isntance removing tranny or engine swap. The motor may not be aligned perfectly causing these frequent breaks.

99 T-RED 3L SVT Apillar Guages How-To 3L 98 CSVT SF/MB 4 SALE 7500 obo pm me
#1615603 07/24/06 01:30 PM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by svttour:
has there been any detailed motor work done for isntance removing tranny or engine swap. The motor may not be aligned perfectly causing these frequent breaks.

The previous owner said that he had the clutch replaced before I purchased it. He said that he had it done at the dealership since that was where he worked. Having that done seemed kinda strange since the car only had 46,000 miles on it. The clutch should've lasted longer I think.

Good work, Dave. You're definitely the #1 interior guy around these parts; always innovating.

#1615604 07/24/06 01:30 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I feel this is a weak mount...
I have urethaned evrything else does anyone have an ideas for this?

Do these wear out ever?

End of high jack.
P.S. I have broken this bolt also...

But I went with grade 10 and haven't had any other problems

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Can u ask him to measure his shaft and compare it to your shaft?

#1615605 07/24/06 01:32 PM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:

But I went with grade 10 and haven't had any other problems

Where would someone go to get a grade 10 bolt? I've been to all the hardware stores in the local area and all they carry are grade 8.

Moderated by  hetfield_dup1, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard