Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Hey I've started modding a Y-pipe for my tour and I was debating over paying to have it welded or just going and buying myself a basic low amp arc welder.

I'm not sure was to were to buy one. Any other CEGer's have one, where did you get it, and what was the price? I'm looking to get a decent deal and not a piece of junk. Thanks in advanced for any help/advice.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Still debating on what to do, huh?
Harbor Freight has decent prices. I don't have any of these welders but I'm sure someone here does and will post.

Harbor Freight

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Arc/Stick welders, you may have a hard time welding exhaust pipes because they will blow through easier. It takes some practice skill. Mig welders are probably the easiest to get the hang off, but a good looking weld can be a very poor weld.

Harbor Freight mig welders suck.

However that said, they will weld exhaust tubing. But thats about the limit of their machines in terms of metal thickness. Kept within it's limits, it will work.

If you really want one, it's going to be some money: welder, helmet, grinder if you don't have one, gas if you want to MIG, gloves, wire brush, etc. Stick with the big 3: Lincoln, Miller and Hobart.

Personally I went with a refurbished Hobart Handler 140 from www.toolking.com. It's a 110v 140amp MIG/fluxcore welder. The only way I could be happier is if I had a nice AC/DC Tig welder to keep it company on the cart.

Go read up here if you are serious: http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Have you welded before? I speak from experience, it isn't easy to get a good weld if you don't know what you're doing. And if you throw in the mask and other stuff you would need, you're getting into some cash.

I'd take it in an let a pro get it right for you for a lot less money.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Yeah I have done basic welding in my metal shop class I had in my senior year. Plus I would do alot of practice welds before hand if I buy one. I'm still looking around at prices. and I still need to find a local shop that will do it.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Second vote for a Handler 140. A bottle, spool of 0.030 wire, and a hood will run your total to around $600. Practice, practice, practice.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
If you are really serious about picking up a welder, getting a good auto dark is key. Sears has some Hobart hoods on clearance. Very good helmets at a really good price, I picked one up at last years clearance sale.

Hobart Hood
Another Hobart hood

Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Second vote for a Handler 140. A bottle, spool of 0.030 wire, and a hood will run your total to around $600. Practice, practice, practice.

Still haven't picked up my bottle yet, I was thinking about keeping it fluxcore only and picking up a nice tig.

Also, you may want to try out .023/24/25 wire. From what I've read you can welder thinner materials a little easier and the smaller diameter wire tops out at about the same welding thickness that the 110v class machines also top out on.

Slow Vehicles in Training 01' Lightning 99' SVTC

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard