Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tasso Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I found 2000 2.5 Cougar engine from a automatic car. The listing says it will only bolt up to a automatic trans because the bell housing on the manual and automatic are different. Is this true and does anyone know for certain? I dont want to buy this engine and then find out it does not bolt up to a 5 speed. Thanks

L
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
L
IIRC, there is NO difference between the ATX and the MTX Duratec 2.5, they bolt up the same way in the Cougar. The only caveat would be if the MTX-75 in the 'Tiques had a different housing than the one in the Coug, and I don't think that is the case. I believe you're OK, but hopefully someone with more MTX knowledge will chime in as well.

Mark 2001 Laser Red Cougar V6 ATX CougarFest 2006 1st (tie) Best Paint / 2nd Cleanest Car CougarFest 2005 Best Stock 1998 Contour V6 ATX 1993 Tempo I4 ATX
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by tasso:
I found 2000 2.5 Cougar engine from a automatic car. The listing says it will only bolt up to a automatic trans because the bell housing on the manual and automatic are different. Is this true and does anyone know for certain? I dont want to buy this engine and then find out it does not bolt up to a 5 speed. Thanks

so let me get this straight... you want to get a non 2.5L SVT engine and put it in an SVT?

I have better advice for you. There is a larger abundence of 3L duratecs out there. Whatever you are paying for this 2.5L I bet you can get a 3L for cheaper and with less miles. Check out the 3L forum here for useful information on how to install one. You will get more power, the same gas mileage and a better engine.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
T
tasso Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by tasso:

I am not interested in 3.0. Does anyone know if the 2000 auto cougar engine bolts to the 1999 svt trans?

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
are you high? more power and cheaper part.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
T
tasso Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Guys please helpme out here, I know all about the 3.0 conversion.

T
tasso Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Wait, please explain the no 3L decision?

And I don't know why or how they would be different, especially since all the 3L are auto's but every 3L Contique is manual, IIRC the shortblock needs a minor bellhousing modification for the manual, but the longblock does not, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I'm pretty sure that the bell housing pattern is the same. You may be able to find more information on the Cougar boards. Try NECO.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
The bellhousing is the SAME! The 2.5L will work, but I would highly suggest you do a 3L.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard