Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1614894 07/22/06 12:20 PM
J
jrreaga Offline OP
OP Offline
J
hello and thank goodness for forums like these they have saved me time and hopefully they will save me money. i have a 02 mercury cougar 2.5 xr atx. with 105k on it the tranny went out i now have the tranny out and a used tranny to go back in. heres the problem got it from a junkyard and the guy told me it was out of an 02 v6. got it home and this is not so. i dont know what year it is but i know its not an 02 because the tc is wider and will not bolt to the flexplate on my 02 2.5.what i need to know is whether or not the tranny will work in my 02. i have all the #s off both of the trannys and know one very important "Code". this is on the center of where the tc bolts to the flexplate. on my 02 it is H. on the new, actually used, tranny it is C. i have the flexplate for the "new" tranny. Can i use the flexplate, tc and tranny out of this car in my 02? thanx for anyones help in advance.

#1614895 07/22/06 05:08 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
That's weird because on my car (1998 2.5 Duratec, CD4E) the TC was the code C from the factory. So i dont know maybe they changed it later on...contour/mystique was killed off in 2000.

Here's some of the specs:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=CD4Etc

Maybe the cougar message boads would have more info?:

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/index.php

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
#1614896 07/22/06 10:16 PM
J
jrreaga Offline OP
OP Offline
J
was the tc a code c in 99 and 2000 or do you know?

#1614897 07/25/06 06:49 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
ya you may want to ask this question on NECO, I'm by no means a tranny expert but I know there is one incompatibility between the 99's and later [one of the sensors was switched from mechanical to electrical].

yes... I am a cougar owner trolling on your board.
#1614898 07/26/06 01:25 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
sorry for the bad news.....

you seem to have an earlier transmission.

your car uses the newer style speed sensor where as the older trans doesnt.

i went through this problem

i put a 01 cougar CD4E in my 97 contour. the newer style trans uses a thinner torque convertor. it can also use either style speed sensor as the old style had a plate blocking it off with a revised casting to allow for the newer one.

you can get a different flexplate which is about $30 or so from bill j. i unknowlingly put the newer trans with the older flexplate and the TC pulled out too much and car wouldnt move. had to yank the motor and swap the flexplate. (back then i was just learning)

if you had a older style trans you can use the newer style but not vice versa. sorry. take it back and make them give you the right one

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
#1614899 07/27/06 04:58 AM
J
jrreaga Offline OP
OP Offline
J
all the sensors will plug in and are in the same location the problem im having is that the tranny is out of warrenty and i may not be able to trade for another one. the only thing keeping me from using this tranny is getting the tranny tight against the engine which is not being allowed to do this because where the center of the tc goes into some sort of bushing. is this bushing changable or not? and will changing it even let this tranny bolt up to the engine.i know you kinda answered my question already but i just really dont want to loose the money i have put into this tranny, new input output seals, gaskets, etc. thanx for all your help.

#1614900 07/27/06 06:17 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I read a few of your posts on the cougar board, and i personally have no idea if this trans will work for you, but it seems like you really want to pursue this. It would suck a$$ if you got it all back together and it didnt work, but anyway, here's some info...

According to this link:

Originally posted by amarv12:

Here's some of the specs:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=CD4Etc

The bushing size should be the same for code C and H...so are you sure the TC is seated fully onto the trans? Should seat 3 times, two for the splined shafts and once for the hex shaft. It takes a little time to get it all lined up.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
#1614901 07/27/06 01:33 PM
J
jrreaga Offline OP
OP Offline
J
the main shaft coming out of the tranny is longer and that is my problem, about to load tranny up and try to take it back. i called the place where i bought it no answer, if any one needs a newer model(2000+) cd4e let me know, would sell for 600 if i cant get my money back.it only has 40k on it and has all new seals.

#1614902 07/27/06 08:07 PM
J
jrreaga Offline OP
OP Offline
J
i couldnt find another used tranny so i did what i think is my best all around option. i bought a ford remaned tranny from the dealer, $2100 with a 3 year 36000 mile warrenty.i plan on keeping this car for a while so if any more problems occur, my @$$ is covered. i can also be hard on the car when i want and if any more tranny problems, well ford has me covered. will pick up new tranny tomorow, cant wait to drive tha cat again. thanks for eveyones help and a little word of advice with the cd4e, dont try to change from year to year.you will have too many problems.stick with what you know.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard