Print Thread
#1614755 07/22/06 01:56 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
It seems I have a bad wheel bearing, right hand side as noise goes away while turning right. I have no trouble getting down to removing the steering knuckle as Ive done all that before, and I've found an auto machine shop down the road that presses in bearings for you.

The question is, do I have to remove the wheel hub from the knuckle before bringing it in to the shop? I assume they have a big press for the bearings, but will they be able to / be happy about pulling the hub from the knuckle first since they aren't really a "service" shop per se? Is removing/reinstalling the hub even possible without the "hub remover tool" mentioned in the servie docs? Just curious what others had done when they did a do it yourslef wheel bearing.

Thanks

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
#1614756 07/22/06 03:05 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
If you do exactly the steps performed in the wheel bearing howto (duratec maintenance forum, in the FAQ) and take it in that condition to any reuptable shop, they will press it exactly as it is.

You shouldn't have any worries.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1614757 07/22/06 03:13 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
hey ray, want to come up here and change mine out? Starting to sqeak something fierce.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
#1614758 07/22/06 03:20 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Bring it down here, and I will. I don't like Snow.

'

or salt

or Minnesota.

j/k.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1614759 07/22/06 03:42 AM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Ray:
If you do exactly the steps performed in the wheel bearing howto (duratec maintenance forum, in the FAQ) and take it in that condition to any reuptable shop, they will press it exactly as it is.

You shouldn't have any worries.

Yes thanks - Ive seen seen it and it's a good write up. Im not really concerend about pulling the knuckle though, Ive more or less done that before in various stages for other jobs (replaced clutch in driveway, replaced shocks&lower control arms).

I was curious if I was going to get any grief from an auto machine shop (not an auto service center) about them having to yank the hub before replacing the bearing?

I assume it's not that big a deal, but if it does require a specific hub puller like listed in the service documentation and they don't have one that'd kinda stink lol. Guess I'll just call and ask first

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT

Link Copied to Clipboard