Next Thread
Print Thread
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
Hi,
I have a '98 SVT 2.5 V-6. I have a leaking exhaust gasket at the y-pipe to primary catalytic converter. So I buy the gasket at the dealer for the bargain price of $26. I was going to get new nuts, but decided not to at $10 each. Anyway I go to actually take it off and the nuts are completely rusted away, 13mm wrench spins freely (I suspect they were 14mm originally). So put some vise grips on one and give it a turn, and well you can see the result:

The other side was already rusted away. What are these studs? What purpose does the little nipple part serve? It's not strong enough to stop the stud from turning when the nut is loosened, well maybe it would have been if the rest hadn't rusted away.

Anyway now I'm stuck with how to fix this. I'm thinking of replacing the studs with regular bolts and some big flat washers, but not sure if there is enough of the flange left for that. Is the flange cast iron? I may try to weld some on anyway...

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Some info on studs and nuts.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V

Link Copied to Clipboard