Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I'm getting ready to do the ol UIM/LIM rebuild because of a oil leak that I think is coming from the oil separator tube. Is it a good idea to replace the valve cover gaskets while I'm in there? Or would this be a completely different procedure?

1998 Black CSVT, 75k mi
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Definitely a good idea. You have to have the UIM & LIM off to do the valve covers, so they'll be right there, ready to be removed. Hopefully your rear gasket fits better than mine, as I believe I'm getting a slight leak from the rear valve cover. It just seemed that the gasket was too long, or possibly stretched.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Only if they are leaking or about to leak. IF they are still uniform and pliable then they are fully reusable. The oil vent tubes leak all the time, Just take a plastic zip tie and put it around the rubber booth that goes over the valve cover vent tube and pull it tight. This will minimize any leakage or stop it until the tube gets old enough to dry rot. Then when you see cracks starting to form just replace it.
It is my experience that the gaskets don't go bad very often, it is the valve cover vent tube that swells from heat and oil vapor and eventually leaks, or the valve cover bolts need retorqued again, or the spark plug o-rings at the valve cover nuts begin to leak as well.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black

Link Copied to Clipboard